MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 07-04-08, 00:56
RIP

Default Logistics Advice Needed

Hi all - a simple request, yeh!. How can I get ten tyres (tires) from North Carolina to Adelaide.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 07-04-08, 01:52

Default Row..row..row your boat gently down the stream...

Bonjour Bob.....

Crated or shrinked wrapped on a skid by boat....probably tucked inside a container....... but the price will not be pretty...... and it may take a few months.....

Are you dealing with an individual or a tire dealer...??? a tire dealer may have better connections or might ship to a known tire dealer in Australia.

I have seen you guys quote almost $400 for a new 20x11:00 bar thread that's twice what they sell them here for....so 100% mark up for shipment..... might be cheaper for you guys to ship all you Canadian CMP back to Canada what with the increase in petrol and all..... you should get ride of all of them...and send a bill to the Canadian government for cleaning up the old wartime junk we left behind....

BooB
Canada
Old 07-04-08, 02:41
RIP

Default 9.00x20 Tyres (Tires)

Hi Boob - just thought I'd start this thread as a poser. He is a tyre dealer and has ten 9.00x20 NDCC military style on Ebay at not a bad price, if you were over there. $699 or Buy It Now for $749. He is running them on a two day cycle and this item number has just finished. 170207600070
Bob
Old 07-04-08, 13:58

Bob, you will get them cheaper than that and try a dealer closer to the west coast. Supplyline usually has an add for them from $50 ea and I have seen them also for $30 ea. Watch what you put them on because most of them are only 8 ply. I have a couple here they weigh about half a 12 ply.
Jeff
42 C15A
43 969A Diamond T wrecker
Type 2,3 & 4 Ausssie jeep trailers
Old 08-04-08, 04:23

Default Some tires are tired......

Price wise you usually get what you pay for.....

A brand new recent manufactured 900x20 is about $170 US in 8 ply...
...a 1100x20 in 12 ply at $235.00 US.....plus shipping and the heavier the carcass will cost more.

Be careful with the brand new tire that still has the molding tits on them when they are off a spare tire from a trailer..... they may be seriously dried up.....cracking may not show up at first...... any tire that is being sold at 1/3 of the new cost.....unless in very large quantities it is tooo good to be true. The cheaper ones are usually older and may even appear sound when looking at them.... check for evidence they have been removed from a rim.... you will see some wear marks on the bead....or rust and tears similar to an old CMP tire.

Older casing may be fine for a local parade or they may be more historically accurate..... BUT .... don't trust them for any kind of highway driving.

I have used an original 1943 bar thread mounted on a 900x16 battle wheel on a Dodge M43 ambulance..... it gave very good traction on the front axle.... it was a spare that had never been used..... we used the ambulance to plow a large garage lot..... after a particular snow clearing session.... remember this is Canadian Winter so the tire could not really get very hot. I finished the job...parked it by the garage front door and went inside.... I closed the door and something went bang like a shotgun..... we ran outside and half the tube had come out of a perfectly exploded rosette on the side wall..... never again.

I kept that old battle wheel with the tire carcass still mounted on it....

It is unfortunate that shipping is so high for you guys in Australia.

Boob
Canada
Old 08-04-08, 09:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Older casing may be fine for a local parade or they may be more historically accurate..... BUT .... don't trust them for any kind of highway driving.

I have used an original 1943 bar thread mounted on a 900x16 battle wheel on a Dodge M43 ambulance.......something went bang like a shotgun..... we ran outside and half the tube had come out of a perfectly exploded rosette on the side wall..... never again.

I kept that old battle wheel with the tire carcass still mounted on it....

Boob
Dodge tires can be dangerous, stick to CMPs!

Oh, actually, the same can happen to CMP tyres. Perfectly good tread, sound-looking carcass, slow speeds ...... and Ka-blooey! The rule is: If it don't bounce or if it draws black lines like chalk, static display only!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4685.JPG  
Old 08-04-08, 09:29
Steve

You didn't say whether they were old or new tyres. Be aware that AQIS love to specially target tyres, owing that they (a) may have dirt on them and/or (b) may have stood outside and gathered water and potential mosquito larvae. This is what I was told by someone who imports lots of vehicle stuff.

If they are used, make sure they are spotless. If they are new, try and make sure they are plastic wrapped and sealed, or boxed and there ought to be no problem. Last year I brought in half a dozen special amphib ATV tyres in boxes when I imported a Weasel, no problems with the tyres (but the Weasel copped it a bit.)

Steve.
Old 09-04-08, 02:29

I think the key is to find a good local shipping agent, we have one here in NZ that is the brother of one of our members and he has been doing quite well from the club providing a quality service at a good price.

Shipping is all about Size and Weight you need to fill containers or Space to maximum or have an agent that will arrange for it and not charge you a fortune to do it.

regards
kev
Old 11-04-08, 00:48
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi Bob,

This might be abit of a round about way, but there is a mate of mine here in Sydney who reguarly brings in containers full of all sorts of old vehicle stuff and lots of other things too from the states. He got me my Firestones for the jeep and helped bring in many other things for it as well.

The containers ship out of Cool, California (Cool is the actual name of the town!) and into North West Sydney. I am not sure about freight to Adelaide and whether this is even a good idea, but it might be another route to examine if you cant get something direct to Adelaide.

If you want, let me know and i`ll PM you his phone number. He is a very flexible, accomodating bloke and would do what he can to help you out.

Good luck,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 12-04-08, 02:16
RIP

Thumbs up

Hi all - thanks for your various inputs. Sourcing tyres seems to be a continuing perplexing problem. I tried to Email MRF but it bounced back. But I will keep trying. I'll continue to try coordinating something. There has to be an easy solution.
Bob
Old 15-04-08, 02:38
Addicted to Drab

Default tires....where to find them

Just a quick note now that I am back from 10 days on the Queen's purse.
Does anyone know what very cold salt water does to rubber? I have seen many shots of divers checking out sunken vessels from WW2 with holds full of tires...makes one think....

cheers from sunny Windsor Ontario

mike Timoshyk
Old 15-04-08, 02:44
Addicted to Drab

Default Tires

http://www.darwindivecentre.com.au/WWII%20Wrecks.html

for you guys down under....right in your back yard....

Mike Timoshyk
Attached Images

Old 15-04-08, 08:01
Graeme Jamieson

Default Diving Darwin harbour

I notice not a mention of the crocodiles that inhabit Darwin harbour .Friendly little critters I hear.
Old 16-04-08, 03:26

Default Nonetheless......

.... it would be interesting to bring a tire up and clean it up..... totally isolated from ozone/oxygene. in sea water...... would the rubber still be good.....?

Awright who will volunteer to bring one up..... forget the crocodiles....

Boob
Canada
Old 16-04-08, 20:14

In Normandy, near Port en Bessin, is a museum of equipment that was pulled from the sea bed, lost during the landings. The rubber on the tank wheels is a crisp as the day made, with moulded lettering still sharp, while the rest of the tank is a crusted hulk. Quite how long the rubber would last if able to use, is unknown, but it does give indication that the surface does not break down. No ultra violet light on the seabed helps I guess.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 16-04-08, 22:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamo View Post
I notice not a mention of the crocodiles that inhabit Darwin harbour .Friendly little critters I hear.
They are friendly - the locals pet them all the time... try it yourself sometime!
Old 16-04-08, 22:36
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Waterlogged tyres

Next time we do a dive clean up I'll cut apart a bias ply tyre thats been on the bottom for 30+ years to see how the cords held up.

Can't see how the water would get to the cords if the tyre was uncracked (new) when it went down!

Maybe there's big money in salvaging 9.00 X 16 chevron tread tyres!

Mike (PADI IDST and Master Diver Trainer #202,398)
www.calnan.com/swords