MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-12-06, 12:02
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Hospital train

In news just to hand:

"On behalf of the Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow Tourism applied for a grant funding from the ATDP programme for the restoration of a hospital train. The Zig Zag Railway has successfully been granted $85,000 for the project.

Restoration Project

The Zig Zag Railway, the Blue Mountain's premier tourist railway, plans to restore and return to service a disused World War II Queensland Ambulance Car and three carriages. The train is set to operate on the Zig Zag line and become a permanent interpretive centre, when not in use, dedicated to acknowledging a culturally and socially significant era in Australia's history.

The Zig Zag Railway Co-operative, with over 30 years of operation, has sought to preserve Australia's rolling stock and successfully operate a tourist railway. Attracting over 50,000 visitors annually, the Zig Zag Railway provides an authentic visitor experience that is an iconic Blue Mountains product.

The Zig Zag Railway has acquired an Ambulance Car 218A engine and three carriages including SEK491, FBS1238 and BL774 for restoration. The Trains were utilised on the Queensland lines during World War II and were the main means of shipping sick and injured service personnel.
Imported from the United States, the trains were to be decommissioned just five years after starting service. The Hospital Car played a significant role in Australia's war history. No Ambulance Cars are in use or have been preserved in Australia and restoration of this train would enhance the product currently offered at the Zig Zag Railway.

The restoration of the Hospital Car would be handled onsite at the Zig Zag Railway, utilising the skilled staff in the process. The engine would be restored in working order, with the carriages fit out to enable passengers to be transported. Part of the project would see a carriage fitted out with interpretive information highlighting the following characteristics:

* Stories of our war heroes, in particular injured solders, doctors, nurses and railway staff

* Rail infrastructure of late 1930's

* Social history of the war time period

* Australian employment during the war years

* Allies integration with industrial processes during the war

* The role of rail in Australia's cultural heritage.

* Linkages to other key interpretation eg Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum and the Australian War Memorial, Canberra

The restoration of the Hospital Train will provide the Zig Zag Railway with an engine and three restored carriages. The train will form an integral part of the rolling stock at the Zig Zag Railway. The train will be restored to its original exterior condition,
complete with a Red Cross indicating its capacity to be utilised as a Hospital train.
Old 20-12-06, 12:45
RIP

Default Re. Hospital Train

Hi TTT

This looks like a very worthwile project. I take it that the "Lithgow Guru" aka "The Man in Blue" will have input into this project?

Bob
Old 20-12-06, 14:34
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Hope to. I just don't know if I should find a stretcher bearer's uniform, or look for some Rail Operating Coy colour patches?

Can I borrow your Ambulance?
Old 20-12-06, 19:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Hope to. I just don't know if I should find a stretcher bearer's uniform, or look for some Rail Operating Coy colour patches?

Can I borrow your Ambulance?
Hmmmm..... you would look funny in a nurses uniform Tony

On a more serious note I think this is a good project and I look forward to hearing of the progress made.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 20-12-06, 23:24

G'day All, Tony I can donate a WW2 stretcher for that cause if you have the need for one, it is surplus to my needs, it would be too expensive to send by mail so if it's a go next time you are down this way cheers mate Dennis