Notices

Old 02-12-06, 01:53
Vets Dottir

Default Howitzers in the Rockies

A different kind of fighting ...

Quote:
Canadian troops helping out in the Rockies
By TARINA WHITE, CALGARY SUN

Canadian troops will be firing howitzers in the Rockies this winter.

They’re not extras in a war movie or conducting a military exercise — they’re being deployed to assist Parks Canada with avalanche control.

Thirteen soldiers from the Canadian Forces Base in Shilo, Man., arrived in Rogers Pass, B.C., this week for a six-week deployment.

The troops are trained to fire 105mm howitzers to artificially trigger avalanches before they grow into a major threat to highway traffic, said Capt. Shawn Fortin, operations officer for the 1st Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

“This is something that the troops get excited about,” said Fortin.

“It’s a nice change from the daily routine.”

The Canadian Forces has teamed up with Parks Canada to conduct avalanche control along an 18-km stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway through the mountains for decades, said Parks Canada senior avalanche officer Bruce McMahon.

Avalanche officers are tasked with monitoring the snow pack’s stability each day, and the army is called in to set off blasts when a threat is detected, said McMahon.

“They’ve kind of been the silent partner in this program,” he said about the army.

“They’re there 24-7 throughout winter.”

Up to 60 avalanches threats are detected and blasting is conducted each winter, said McMahon, who is based in Revelstoke and Glacier National parks.

To protect motorists, sections of the Trans-Canada Highway through the mountains are closed when the army is blasting.

“There may be delays but they try to keep the delays to a minimum,” said Fortin.

The troops will be replaced every six weeks until next spring, he said.
Old 02-12-06, 02:16
David Pope

I've been stopped in the Rogers Pass a few times in winters past while these avalanche control measures were carried out. Some people get upset about the wait but it's interesting to watch. In this stretch of the Rockies they have a number of avalanche roofs built over the highway to protect the motorists in the most prone areas.
Old 02-12-06, 02:56
Vets Dottir

Hi,

I've always enjoyed going through those tunnels, both by vehicle and by train I'm curious ... I wonder what the howitzer looks like? The one they use for the avalanche control? I did a google search for howitzer and a whole lot of different images came up, including "pounders".

Regards waiting while they do the work, I'd rather wait than get buried alive

Karmen
Old 02-12-06, 03:11
carrier mech

They are the old C1 105mm howitzers. 1 RCHA Shilo have a couple of the old, unmodified ones (most were changed up to C3 status) just for that purpose.

Not sure if they still have them, but a couple years ago, parks Canada also had all the remaining 106mm recoiless ammo which they would use to also help bring down the snow.

The guys always loved being on the avcon det. Apparently, it is quite a good go, being paid to hang around a ski chalet all day.
Old 02-12-06, 20:23
Vets Dottir

Thanks Rob

And YES, I can only imagine how many of those young guys would really like hanging around the SKI BUNNIES

Karmen
Old 02-12-06, 21:26
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
And YES, I can only imagine how many of those young guys would really like hanging around the SKI BUNNIES
Even some women I've known wouldn't mind hanging around the Ski Bunnies*...

*Mind you, I've never met any myself, so have to pass on any personal analysis
Old 07-12-06, 18:55
Vets Dottir

Hi folks,

There's a story with a photo today. I hope they don't remove them before you've had a chance to see it

http://www.bctvkootenays.com/

Karmen
Old 07-12-06, 20:20

Default Just in case they do

Revelstoke, BC (Ski Press)— More than 2,000 motorists travel the Trans-Canada Highway through Rogers Pass during winter’s treacherous months—all thanks to these guys and gals— Canada’s troops.

For over 45 years, the 1st Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (1 RCHA) from Canadian Forces Base Shilo, Manitoba, has used artillery fire to assist Parks Canada with avalanche control in Rogers Pass/Glacier National Park, British Columbia. This year is no different, as troops have already been deployed to the Pass .

Artillery fire from 105 mm howitzers, towed to one of 18 roadside circular gun platforms, is often used to artificially trigger an avalanche rather than risk the volatility of a naturally occurring avalanche. “Our goal is to induce an avalanche before it can become larger and therefore a danger to traffic,” said Lieut. Robert Vandermolen, Troop Commander of the 13 soldiers who will leave their homes and families this winter to protect motorists.

Parks Canada operates the world’s largest mobile avalanche control program to keep the Trans-Canada Highway and the Canadian Pacific Railway operating through Rogers Pass. During winter months, snow avalanche technicians maintain a constant watch over weather and snowpack conditions. The artillery takes its cues on when and where to fire from these snow experts.

“The only live fire that happens on the highway is in defense of that highway and is coordinated by my team,” said Bruce McMahon, the Senior Avalanche Officer at Mount Revelstoke and Glacier National Parks. “We close and sweep the highway in the area of concern to ensure there are no civilian vehicles within the danger or avalanche areas before beginning avalanche control operations.”

Under the direction of the avalanche forecasters from Parks Canada, the army bombards known trigger zones high up the avalanche paths. The shock waves from exploding shells fired by the artillery will trigger avalanches when snow conditions are right. With the highway closed, the avalanches can thunder harmlessly down the slopes.

The program also employs road crews, including snowplow drivers and traffic control workers from local residents in Golden and Revelstoke, to keep the road clear. “It’s a team effort,” said Lieut. Vandermolen. “Parks Canada personnel are coordinators, road crews remove snow and ice, and us Army guys are the “snow-punchers.” Each of us plays an essential part and lends expertise in our related fields.”

Were it not for the work of this avalanche control team, long-term road closures could mean a huge inconvenience to commuters. “In a century of searching, surveyors have located only one likely route across the central Selkirks: Rogers Pass. Without this pass, all railways and highways would have to take a lengthy detour around the mountains,” affirmed Mr. McMahon.

Not only does avalanche control allow motorists to rely on a safe provincial transportation system during the winter, the programme also ensures that the commercial route to and from B.C.’s west coast is open for business. “Every hour the highway is closed, it incurs costs in lost shipping on both the highway and rail lines in the area,” said Lieut. Vandermolen. “Using the artillery to induce the avalanche allows us to determine when an avalanche will take place, preventing hours, maybe days of road closures that could result if we were to wait for nature.”

Image courtesy of Navy Public Affairs
Attached Images

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 07-12-06, 20:29
Vets Dottir

Thanks Phil ... ... gotta un though, late for an appointment as I got tied up on phone.

GREAT PHOTO!

K.
Old 07-12-06, 20:35

Default Take note of the photo credit

Just noticed the photo credit on the story “Image courtesy of Navy Public Affairs”
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-12-06, 17:35
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Take note of the photo credit

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Just noticed the photo credit on the story “Image courtesy of Navy Public Affairs”
You said "NAVY"??? Isn't that curious. Why "Navy" and not "Army?" who does the "land" jobs?

Karmen.
Old 14-12-06, 17:56

Default Re: Just in case they do

Phil,
In the 13 December 2006 edition of "The Maple Leaf" (a DND internal newspaper, mainly feelgood pieces) paragraphs 2-8 that you quote appear almost verbatim, listed as being written by Lt(N) Heather McDonald. The photo with the article in Maple Leaf looks very similar to the one you showed, but is credited to 1RCHA. Clearly we have an example here of military/civil cooperation with inter-branch rivalries set aside for naval/artillery photo sharing.
Old 14-12-06, 19:01
RIP

Default Re: Re: Take note of the photo credit

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
You said "NAVY"??? Isn't that curious. Why "Navy" and not "Army?" who does the "land" jobs?

Karmen.
Back in 1970 I attended the Master Cadet camp at Banff, Alberta which was dedicated to mountain climbing. We had a Navy Medical Assistant (MA) who couldn't figure out how he could join the Navy only to find himself at 10,000 ft above sea level draining blisters from the feet of Army cadets. Another unification gift from Helyer.
Old 14-12-06, 19:27
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Take note of the photo credit

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
....Another unification gift from Helyer.
Don't be winding me up now, laddie...