MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-08-06, 08:12
Vets Dottir

Default Pardons for WW1 Soldiers

Hello Everyone,

I just read this amazing story and I thought I should post it in here for all to read.

Karmen.

Quote:
Pardon expected to be sought for Canadian WWI soldiers
Last Updated Wed, 16 Aug 2006 01:00:49 EDT
CBC News
The British government is expected to announce Wednesday that it will seek a group pardon for over 300 First World War soldiers executed for offences such as cowardice and desertion, a list that includes 23 Canadian soldiers.

Defence secretary Des Browne is expected to announce the posthumous pardon of 306 soldiers on moral grounds, the Guardian reported.

The soldiers were shot for cowardice or desertion, many after court martial hearings that lasted just minutes.

Descendants of the soldiers and advocates for the pardon have long argued that many were clearly suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The families of the executed soldiers received no military pensions, in addition to the stigma they suffered.

The pardons will need approval from Britain's parliament.

CBC has obtained documents related to the pardon, including a list of the Canadian soldiers. In 2001, Canada added the 23 names to the Book of Remembrance in Ottawa:

Sgt. W. Alexander
Pte. C. Laliberte
L/Bdr. F.S. Arnold
Pte. W.N. Ling
Pte. F. Auger
Pte. H.E.J. Lodge
Pte. H.G. Carter
Pte. T.L. Moles
Pte. G. Comte
Pte. E. Perry
Pte. A.C. Dagesse
Pte. E.J. Reynolds
Pte. L. Delisle
Pte. C. Welsh
Pte. E. Fairburn
Pte. J.H. Wilson
Pte. S. McD. Fowles
Pte. E. Young
Pte. J.M. Higgins
Pte. J.W. Roberts
Pte. H.H. Kerr
Pte. D. Sinizki
Pte. J. Lalancette
Old 17-08-06, 06:00
M38A1 CDN3

So, in view of that, perhaps the "powers that be" might consider suitable posthumous recognition for the likes of :

Lt Peter Handcock
Lt Harry Morant (The Breaker)

Both shot to death by firing squad by troops of the Cameron Highlanders, they being found guilty of murdering a wandering German missionary, upon totally flimsy charges, during the Boer War.

Enter Lt Whitton, who wrote "Scapegoats of Empire", sentenced to penal servitude for life, but suddenly and mysteriously released from Lewes prison.

I watch the film "Breaker Morant" from time to time and wind up totally enraged that such a miscarriage of justice could have happened.
Old 17-08-06, 17:07
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Pardons for WW1 Soldiers

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello Everyone,

I just read this amazing story and I thought I should post it in here for all to read.

Karmen.

Fine post Karmen. Too many people have forgotten how brutish trench warfare was during WWI. I'm presently reading "Pictorial History of the Great War" by S.J. Duncan-Clark and W.R. Plewman, which, despite it's name is mostly text and "Canada in the Great War" by W.S. Wallace. The brutality of how the war was prosecuted and the insensate terror of seeming endless artlillery barrages and gas attacks while living under the most primitive of conditions would test any man's "moral fibre." That more didn't break and run is a testament to the courage of the Canadian soldier. Remember the 2nd Battle of Ypres? As for the pardons, if it was just a case of a soldier malingering or breaking under the strain and deserting, then I feel a pardon is in order. I do believe however, that no pardon should ever be granted to any soldiers guilty of treason.
My dos pesos worth anyway!

CHIMO!
Old 17-08-06, 17:48
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Pardons for WW1 Soldiers

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Fine post Karmen. Too many people have forgotten how brutish trench warfare was during WWI.

As for the pardons, if it was just a case of a soldier malingering or breaking under the strain and deserting, then I feel a pardon is in order. I do believe however, that no pardon should ever be granted to any soldiers guilty of treason.
My dos pesos worth anyway!

CHIMO!
I thought it good to post too It's sad to learn how and how many lost their lives this way ... bad enough on the battlefield after living so harshly, and dieing harshly in battle. It was a horrible environment and war from the bits I've learned about. I imagine many men were pushed way beyond their coping abilities and I feel really sad for those that were executed for it.

I agree with you regards the treason part.

Karmen.