MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 28-01-10, 06:40

Default Wartime NWE image of a CIRD Sherman?

I was going through the Dutch national Archives on-line image database at:http://beeldbank.nationaalarchief.nl/ and found this image of what looks like a Sherman fitted with CIRD pads and studs. The pads appear small for the normal applique plates used on the gun tanks but the quality of the image is rather poor. The image was taken on 24 September 1944.

The caption states:"Een Sherman tank en infanterie van de Britse 11th Armoured Division passeren een bailybrug bij sluis 11 over de Zuid Willemsvaart op weg naar Asten [Operatie Market Garden]"

The catalouge number is:120_0834.

I have attached an image of a surviving Dutch ex-CIRD Sherman from Hanno's Sherman Register for comparison.

Could this be a CIRD tank that was in use as a regular gun tank, or am I just seeing things?

Thanks,

Name:  120_0834.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  cird3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  41.8 KB
Old 28-01-10, 22:19
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ginn View Post
Could this be a CIRD tank that was in use as a regular gun tank, or am i just seeing things?
Jason,

Great find, I see the same things.

From my webpage on the Canadian Indestructible Roller Device (CIRD):
Quote:
The device was available for D-Day and was shipped across the channel. Sherman CIRDs were issued as pilot tanks, on the scale of one per troop, to the three regiments of the 79th Armoured Division operating flail tanks in North West Europe. RAC Reports note that one of these, 30 Armoured Brigade, was equipped with "36 pilot Sherman Vs with 12 Roller equipments". However, there are no records of the CIRD being used in action and all units were withdrawn before the end of 1944.
First of all, there were more Sherman tanks with the attachments available than rollers, so even during their deployment it was possible to see Shermans w/o the roller sets driving around. I suspect that after the units were withdrawn the Shermans with attachments were (re)issued as normal gun tanks. At least that is how the one in Netherlands Army inventory was used.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 06-07-24 at 14:58. Reason: fixed link
Old 06-07-24, 14:56
MLU Administrator

Default Sherman V with CIRD fittings

Another photo of s Sherman V with CIRD fittings on the hull sides, this time in use as a Dozer tank.

Quote:
Photograph of a Sherman Dozer tank with English crew. On the dozer blade is written in chalk "long live Overasselt". Behind the tank is a truck. In the background a tall chimney of a "dairy". To the right of the tank a woman with an apron. The photo is mentioned on the Kerkstraat (now Schoonenbergese weg) in Overasselt.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-06 143148.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	137958
Source: https://www.collectiegelderland.nl/v...0-3d2177a74f53