MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 16-01-13, 11:25
C Mandville

Default Any one know which units went in to Vuren

Hi

I am doing looking for information on the units that liberated Vuren in Belgum/netherlands.

reagrds
Cliff
Old 17-01-13, 02:45
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Vuren, The Netherlands, May 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMandville View Post
I am doing looking for information on the units that liberated Vuren in Belgum/netherlands.
Hi Cliff;

Vuren wasn’t liberated, in the true since of the word. Vuren was in the German Twenty-Fifth Army’s (30th German Corps) area in the Western Netherlands and was cleared by elements of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division, as they moved into the Western Netherlands, starting on 8 May 1945, to take over control of the 30th German Corps' area, following the surrender of all German forces in the Netherlands to the GOC, I Canadian Corps, on 5 May 1945.

Cheers
Old 17-01-13, 07:37
C Mandville

Hello Mark

Thank you for the very quick responce

The person I am helping with this has come back to me and tells me he had the wrong area , his relative was in Veurne Belgium. Would you know which units took Veurne Belgium & which Canadian Armoured units supported them.

Regards
Cliff Mandville
Old 17-01-13, 15:47
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Veurne Belgium

Quote:
The person I am helping with this has come back to me and tells me he had the wrong area , his relative was in Veurne Belgium. Would you know which units took Veurne Belgium & which Canadian Armoured units supported them.
Hi Cliff;

No problem.

Veurne (Furnes), Belgium, was liberated by elements (possibly “D” Squadron) of the 18th Canadian Armoured Car Regiment (12th Manitoba Dragoons) (II Canadian Corps Troops), and by elements of the 6th Canadian Infantry Brigade (Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal, the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada, and the South Saskatchewan Regiment), of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division. This occurred in early (7/8) September 1944, as the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, enveloped the outer defences of Dunkirk, as part of the First Canadian Army task of clearing the coastal belt.

Cheers
Old 17-01-13, 16:14
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Veurne Belgium - a follow-up

Hi Cliff;

I forgot to include the file references, for the copies of the War Diaries, that are held by The National Archives (Kew) (Richmond, Surrey, United Kingdom), for the units in question, if you or your friend, wish to do further research.

WO 179/2944 - for Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal - War Diaries for Jan to Dec 1944
WO 179/2957 - for The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada - War Diaries for Jan to Dec 1944
WO 179/2968 - for The South Saskatchewan Regiment - War Diaries for Jan to Dec 1944
WO 179/2998 - for the 18th Armoured Car Regiment (12th Manitoba Dragoons) - War Diaries for Jan to Dec 1944

Cheers
Old 17-01-13, 18:47
C Mandville

Hi mark

Thank you for the very fast responce, i have passed it on to Lee who i hope appritiates your responce as much as i do. he is working on creating uniforms and markings for an event this summer

My Grandfather served in Caen Cpl Clifford O Mandville M41344 2nd Batalion RCE, I have his papers if you would like me to send you a copy by email.

I am a member of a group called www.thegarrison.org.uk we have a associate groups in belguim, Malta and hope to be there for this years events.

you should be able to spot me in the photos on the website i am the one in the canadian uniform.

Chimo!
Cliff
Old 17-01-13, 20:18
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Caen

Quote:
My Grandfather served in Caen Cpl Clifford O Mandville M41344 2nd Batalion RCE
Hi Cliff;

My father served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles at Caen, as did my mother’s brother, with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders.

Cheers
Old 18-01-13, 07:12
C Mandville

They may have passed each other in the street or in the repair pool my grandfather worked in. He and his brother joined at the same time but had very different wars his brother was in the Royal Canadian Irish Fusiliers. Both from Millet no huge difference in age background or experience but the WO sent them on very different paths.

Regards
Cliff
Old 18-01-13, 18:19
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Royal Canadian Irish Fusiliers

Quote:
He and his brother joined at the same time but had very different wars his brother was in the Royal Canadian Irish Fusiliers.
Cliff;

I’m curious, when you say the "Royal Canadian Irish Fusiliers," are you referring to the Irish Fusiliers (Vancouver Regiment)? If so, which battalion, the 1st Battalion, which served here in Canada in a home defence role, from January 1941 to May 1943, and garrison duty in Jamaica, from May 1943 to August 1944, and was sent to the UK in January 1945, where on embarkation, they were disbanded to provide infantry reinforcements for the Canadian Army in the field, or the 3rd Battalion, which served here in Canada in a home defence role, from May 1942 to their disbandment in August 1943?

Cheers
Old 18-01-13, 19:42
C Mandville

Hi Mark

He went to Jamaica ill need to check his recourses for dates but from memory he was TOS SOS TOS like a yo-yo ill look it up Monday it's on my work PC and I am on Civil defence duty fighting snow to ferry firs responders www.sebev.co.uk sending this by phone
Old 04-02-13, 03:35
Terry Warner

Default Official lineages - huge files!

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-.../index-eng.asp

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!