MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 09-09-11, 11:08
Tony Baker

Default Very Sad News: Please Read, especially Australians

It is with great sadness that I notify of the passing of a great Australian, Mr Harold Edward Freiberg King.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9090226.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	43674
Harry, as he was known to most, was an Australian Serviceman who fought in World War II in the pacific theatre, and was one of those who battled to hold off the Japanese advance on the Kokoda Track, in New Guinea.

Kokoda was argueably one of the most iconic actions of Australias involvement in the war, and a place that many Australians still flock to, to fully understand how difficult and challenging the fighting must have been. Kokoda Track is a 'right of passage' for descendents of the original soldiers and for those who admire their feats. There is good reason why Kokoda was known as "A Bastard of a Place" to those who fought there amongst the mud, disease, drenching rain, steaming humidity, and of course under fire at any time.

Harold King was a humble man who could be described as a true gentleman in every sense of the word. He retained his larakin spirit & often gave the impression he was still a cheeky young man trapped in an old mans body. He passed away last Saturday morning with family around him, and his funeral was held this morning in Gympie, QLD.

While we have lost another great Australian, his participation in the Kokoda action and his military service to Australia will ensure he is remembered and honoured by his country. I was very proud to have known Harry and to be able to call him my friend.

So, for all who respect and honour our military history and the men who gave their all, I ask that when you next get together with mates for a beer, think of this gentleman, raise a glass and propose a toast to a true hero, Signalman, Harold King. QX50613 (Q148430)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9090227.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	43675

LEST WE FORGET