MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-02-09, 23:38

Default Unit ID (and a CMP in the background)

These two images recently came through from a Canadian eBay purchase.(Didn't intend to export your cultural heritage but there were no other bidders )

I'd be interested to know the unit if that's possible and the background to the vehicle markings. An exact vehicle ID would also be nice. The pictures came from Nova Scotia.

Both front motorcycle and the truck CZ4204994 carry a '68' Arm of Service insignia and the rear bike and the truck also carry the marking '20084' - In the case of the motorcycle, this is on the front and rear number plates which is not something I've seen before. This rear machine also looks to have a light-coloured Maple leaf on the fuel tank.

The rider is also on this print dated 1940 but no visible unit insignia. I would guess that the vehicle picture is a little later. Perhaps Spring 1941 ?

Rich
Old 26-02-09, 02:16
David Pope

The truck is an 8 cwt Personnel version but I can't see anything to tell if it's a Ford or a Chev. It has the three seats in the back and you can tell that they're vinyl covered. The 68 on the motorcycle fender is also on the truck tailgate.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 26-02-09, 15:29
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Unit ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Payne View Post
I'd be interested to know the unit if that's possible and the background to the vehicle markings. An exact vehicle ID would also be nice. The pictures came from Nova Scotia.

Both front motorcycle and the truck CZ4204994 carry a '68' Arm of Service insignia and the rear bike and the truck also carry the marking '20084
Hi Rich;

I believe that the vehicles and soldier pictured belong to the Carleton and York Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.

The Arm of Service serial '68' was that which was assigned to the Carleton and York Regiment (from approx. 28 May 1940 onwards).

The AoS serial '68' is in white on a brown background and the formation sign of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division was that of a gold (or yellow) maple leaf centrally located on a red background (from approx. 28 May 1940 onwards).

I have no idea what the marking '20084' is for, this has come up before but I haven't come across anything to date to explain this marking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 27-02-09, 00:24

Thanks Mark, that's great information and it would have taken me a very long time to find it (assuming that I managed it).

Is it the only the number '20084' that appears or are there others in the sequence ? The quality of the lettering suggests to me that it was more than a local adaptation.

This is probably a very ill-informed musing but was it originally intended that the whole Division be sent to France in 1940 and could the vehicles have been marked ready for shipment ?

Rich
Old 27-02-09, 15:33
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Payne View Post
Thanks Mark, that's great information and it would have taken me a very long time to find it (assuming that I managed it).

Is it the only the number '20084' that appears or are there others in the sequence ? The quality of the lettering suggests to me that it was more than a local adaptation.

This is probably a very ill-informed musing but was it originally intended that the whole Division be sent to France in 1940 and could the vehicles have been marked ready for shipment ?

Rich
Hi Rich;

In regards to the number '20084', I have seen a similar sequence of numbers on Canadian vehicles in photos from the winter/spring of 1945, but haven't yet found what they represent.

Your musing is not "ill-informed", the 1st Division, C.A.S.F (and ancillary units) were to have been part of the Second B.E.F.

Cheers