MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-04, 03:08
M38A1 CDN3

Default Base Borden Museum Update

Hello all who may be interested in the item in the subject line.

First of all, you may wish to refresh your memory by executing the search function on this forum (Borden Museum).

I've just returned from Borden, having attended a military function. I left home beforehand in lots of time so that I could recce the museum area. Herewith, my observations.

The museum building on Waterloo Road (the big white thingie) still stands. Outside it are: a Lynx (tracked), the Whippet (it's rear door open to the elements), a Universal Carrier with a blue tarp loosely tied over the top, a bomb trolly and an instructional engine display unit.

Buildings E 145 and 146 still stand. These are the buildings into which MLUers had a privileged look courtesy of Fred Olsen.

Close by, to the east, on hard stands are 20 Armoured vehicles...some tarped, some painted with the epoxy stuff, some bare naked.

On Armour Row, only the Wirblewind, Centurion, Panther and AVRE still rest. (Why the Armoured vehicles ever were taken away from here still puzzles me).

Some other vehicles/equipment are scattered about, in the open, notably the 120mm Long Tom cannon (the one which used to be outside the old Range Control), an Iltis and a multi fueler MLVW...all of which are covered in the (I think) epoxy resin coating, the colour of which looks like yer ol' GI Joe doll.

The "old" museum H hut building still stands, and is still identified as a Museum.

That's my SITREP.