MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-06-11, 14:58
warren brown

Default Australian Combat 6 Willys jeep

Hello Brains Trust!
This is not strictly military - but I'm helping out my brother and I told him someone, out of the vast collective wisdom of the MLU forum might have an idea. We've been trawling civilian jeep sites about this, but we haven't had particularly clear answers.
My brother recently bought on ebay, a CJ5 Combat 6 jeep.
As I understand it, during the '50s and '60s Willys Motors had an assembly plant in Brisbane, Queensland - and as part of some local input agreement, there was some sort of requirement for Australian content - and a deal was struck with Ford Australia, fitting CJ5s with six-cylinder Ford Falcon engines (initially 144 ci OHV). These were linked up with specific bell-housings to the standard three-speed CJ5 jeep gearbox and drive train. I understand these jeeps arrived as CKD kits and were converted to RHD upon assembly (from various accounts, the build quality wasn't exactly marvellous).
The result was known as the Combat 6 - with its own special Combat 6 decals on the side of the body - and contemporary print advertising played heavily on the Willys jeep's wartime record. Over about a ten-year stretch, more than 600 Combat 6 jeeps were built in Australia.
The jeep my brother bought was an unfinished project - originally a Combat 6 but about to be monstered - tractor-sized tyres, V8 etc - but he is determined to bring it back to as original - or standard - as a Combat 6 could be.
The vehicle is very sound, but on closer inspection - there are a few things that don't add up - and Brisbane Willys jeep records are less plentiful than the Dead Sea Scrolls.
This is really for post-war jeep experts and if anyone has any ideas - they would be most welcome.

1. There is an ID plate on the firewall - (in the attached photos, clearly re-riveted) - the numbers of which don't seem to comply with what we've been looking at on civilian jeep websites listing production codes.
According to these codes, the first four numbers, 8305 make sense - they designate the jeep as a CJ5 with an open body - but if you follow the other numbers, they don't seem to make ay sense. Reading these numbers should indicate year model and LHD etc. and if you are imaginative with the numbers we have, (compared with official numbers) - the jeep's actual date of manufacture narrowed down to probably either 1959 or 1965 (!)

2. Also, according to US civilian jeep websites, there should be serial numbers stamped on top of the chassis rail - but we can't find numbers in the defined locations.

3. Lastly - should the front suspension have the hanging c-shaped shackle at the front like a WWII jeep- or trailing. There is so much bumpf about spring shackle conversion / reversa on the net.

Many thanks anyone, Warren,,,

Attached - photo of the jeep the day it was picked up, the ID plate and the Ford Falcon - Willys bell housing. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep combat 6.jpg (52.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg jeep plate..jpg (32.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg jeep combat 6 bell housing.jpg (52.4 KB, 77 views)
Ford GPW