MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-11, 20:01
Mr. HUP

Default 2011 at the Hammond Barn

It is 6oC and the snow is rapidly disappearing. The yard is a quagmire, so my plan to drive the HUP on the first day of the New Year got shelved. Instead I took up Bill's invitation to visit him in Greely, a small town south of Ottawa.
Finding the place was very easy; all I had to do was look for a CMP. Sure enough, I recognized a familiar vehicle outline and pulled into his yard.

Bill gave me the cook's tour of his CMP based snowplough and his workshop. Later, I will add photos showing how he took a CMP truck that had been converted to a forklift, and converted it to his snow removal machine.

Later on, we took a short drive in the local area and tried to speak to the owners of various military vehicles that we spotted from the road. We got no response but had a look at the vehicles anyway. A return visit will take place sometime soon and the results of the visit will be posted later.

Back at Bill's place we chatted about other CMP wrecks, including one with a built in winch set up. We had previously discussed this truck at Bob's place when Bill picked up his replacement axle. So, stay tuned as we prove the old adage" Time spent on recce is seldom wasted"!
Old 01-01-11, 20:12
Mr. HUP

Default Bill's CMP Snow Plough

Notice anything out of the ordinary with this "conversion"?
Photo 1 - The CMP as Bill bought it
Photo 2 - Stripped down
Photo 3 - Framing
Photo 4 - Cab
Photo 5 - Finished product

Thanks to Bill for providing these photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill.jpg (68.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg bill (2).jpg (62.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg bill (3).jpg (67.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg bill (4).jpg (54.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg bill (5).jpg (44.1 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by RHClarke; 01-01-11 at 20:22.
Old 01-01-11, 20:21
Mr. HUP

Default More Snow CMP

Photo 1 - The broken axle
Photo 2 - Interesting "front" end

If I recall correctly, Bob knew about Bill's forklift. Maybe he can fill in some details?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill 002.jpg (101.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg bill 001.jpg (44.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-01-11, 17:26

Default Congratulations on another fine year at Hammon

Hi All

Congratulations on another fine year at Hammon Barn, thanks Bob for the concept and venue for a shared work environment. Now if I could just find a bunch of CMP nuts down here to share work space and projects.

Look forward to another fine year of entertainment.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 03-01-11, 02:20
Mr. HUP

Default First Convoy of the New Year

Bob and I rolled out our CMPs this afternoon. The weather has changed for the colder so there is less mud to worry about. Bob's truck started on the very first crank, but the HUP took a little more time to fire up. After warming up for a few minutes, we headed up the road to Bob's house. Unfortunately, my engine wasn't running all that well.

Back at the barn, I checked the wires, plugs and dizzy. All seemed in order. On restart I got the same problem - the engine seemed to be missing resulting in rough acceleration. We did not check the timing as time was running out and I had to head for home.

So, given a 235 engine with a manual choke, what would cause it to idle nicely, but get rough when accelerating? Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-11, 00:07

From what information you have provided, this to me sounds either:

Timing - is either to advanced or retarded, or the vacuum/mechanical advance are not working properly

Carburation - The high-speed circuit or the accelerating pump circuit may be dirty or plugged

Neil
Old 04-01-11, 01:54
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Yep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo.NT View Post
From what information you have provided, this to me sounds either:

Timing - is either to advanced or retarded, or the vacuum/mechanical advance are not working properly

Carburation - The high-speed circuit or the accelerating pump circuit may be dirty or plugged

Neil
Neil..Can be a little or a lot of both and throw in some rotten gas from sitting around and it could fix up the problems.
Old 04-01-11, 22:43

Default Strange as it ran beautiful before.....

Plugs were sooty but cleanable....... loss of power when throttled hit for accellaration..... almost to the point of stalling...which it did on occasions!!

Problem maybe with big boots and accidently hitting the dizzy while shifting or just plain getting on and off.

Gas.....Yes.... maybe old..... a few gallons fo fresh stuff may help..... with added Sta-Bill for safe measure.

It was running so smooth and accellareted well last time out a few months ago.

Timing will need to be checked..... and man do you have to be double jointed to do that.....even if half the sheet metal is missing it is still difficult to twist your head around to see the pointer and TDC.....

As we will need to disconnect the vacuum advance to tune up we will check the holding power of the vaccum advance diaphram.... or leaks on the way over to the carb.

Two solutions come to mind........ go underneath and once timed properly with the engine turned by hand until pointer is at TDC.... grind a notch in the flywheel where it meet with edge of flywheel housing.... always dark there and easier to see....although it becomes a two men job....

Second temporary solution....cut, fit and install a piece of sheet metal to protect hitting the dizzy......

Hopefully it will not be minus 20C when we do that.....

Boob
Canada