MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-24, 04:56

Default Clip, Rifle, Double - Dimensions

Hello all. I am in search of the dimensions for the tray/double rifle clip that holds the barrel end of the two Enfield rifles that get stowed vertically in the aft left compartment, just above the battery. I have enclosed a photo of the tray. I know this question has come up before but no dimensions were ever reported in that thread. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I need to fabricate this item from scratch and need the dimensions in order to start. The attached photo was submitted by Michael R. for that older thread. The original thread was titled "dimension(s) request TL 13282."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TL 13282.jpg (38.2 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by Skip Inge; 05-04-24 at 05:13.
Old 05-04-24, 11:17

Is it critical to get the dimensions absolutely correct?

Because if you don’t mind that it’s slightly off, that photo is good enough to measure in and work out a good approximation of the real size if you have dimensions of the plate it’s mounted on.

Using the measuring tool in Photoshop, the height of the bracket is 48 pixels while the height of plate (at the left edge of the bracket) is 237 pixels. Similarly, the width of the bracket is 91.6 pixels and the plate width is 267.5. The depth of the clip seems to be about the same as the width of the plate alongside it.

Clip, rifle, double dimensions.jpeg

If you measure up the real plate where the white and blue arrows are (that’s especially important for the white one), you can work out the approximate size of the clip easily enough.
Old 05-04-24, 16:02

Jakko, I usually use photos and calipers to approximate the size of items that I need to fabricate. I do not have Photoshop and if I did I wasn’t aware that it had a measuring tool built in. This is exactly why I ask questions for items that I am unsure about. The assistance and experience of the members of MLU always offer a perspective that I had not considered. Thank you! I appreciate your measurements and for sharing how you did it!
Old 05-04-24, 20:06

Glad it helps You can do the same by holding a ruler up to your screen, of course, but if you know that a graphics program has a built-in ruler tool, that’s generally more convenient to use.

And because I was curious, I checked the documentation for GIMP, which is a Photoshop-like program but entirely free. As I suspected, it also has a measuring tool.
Old 05-04-24, 20:42

Outstanding! Thank you!
Old 06-04-24, 01:56

I would like to know what was intended to be stowed in that tray? It doesn’t look like it was designed to simply distance the clips away from the armoured radiator cover. There must have been something that was stowed in that tray by the looks of the design.
Interested to hear if anybody knows if there was in fact something there and what?
Regards,Derk
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)