MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-10-04, 06:27
Vets Dottir

Thumbs up Sunray Meets Yappy

Hi Everybody,

I was just browsing the Sargeants Mess and noticed there is absolutely NOTHING posted here about the big Winnipeg Milestone Event:

Sept. 22, 2004
SUNRAY MEETS YAPPY
in person

In a nutshell, the very first ever meeting was a very emotional event for both of us. It was a mind-boggling surprize to see him arrive and climb out of a WHITE STRETCH LIMO ... my chin hit the driveway! You had to be there ... I was standing in the driveway ofmy bunker with my FRYING PAN!

I couldn't believe that AFTER just over a year and a half of conversing about very major, meaningful, and emotional things regards my Uncle's fate, and oh so many other things, that the man himself, who attended the Normandy 60th Anniversary ceremonies, and actually visited my Uncle on my behalf, delivered a memorium ... and helped me so much (and continues to do so) ... well...

after all this time this man,
Mr. Geoff Winnington-Ball,
person extrordinaire and Grand Master of MLU ....
stood before me in person. It was a very moving and emotional meeting indeed. Incredible experience. The hugs were wonderful and heartfelt. The time spent together was great.

AND ... I've been BLITZED .... He brought me a special gift ... a copy of "Year Of The Blitz" ... which we watched together. So wonderful to see some people in the film of some people I've talked to in MLU, and even by phone (namely Geoff and Keefy) I'll treasure this gift Geoff ...and Keith I love it ... and you all should get a copy if ya don't already have one!

I also am now the proud owner of aa RED ENSIGN (that right???) FLAG and a DECAL from MLU Grand Master hisself.

OH ... and guess what???????? He brought his frying pan ... and left it behind ... guess I'll just have to go to London to rturn it!

Bottom line ... the time getting to know each other and yapping was great and nobody got hit with any frying pans.

I hope in due course that I'll be able to meet other MLU-ers in person too. This place, MLU. I've become very attached and close to MANY of you in here. After all this time ... I've come to know some personal details of many of your lives, we've all gone through changes and experiences...
and there is a very personal warmth runs through all the threads of history, information sharing, personal stories, humour up the yinyang, losses and grief ... growth .... well ... we're a great community.

Geoff ... thank you for making this meeting happen. I was honoured and delighted, enjoyed it, and hope the next visit will be me in London so you can drag me around to meet some other MLU-ers.

I especially wanna meet Marko and Denise ... Jon and who else lives close by?

and how far away is "Who loves me baby ART JOHNSON ... " (when he and Catherine aren't in Florida that is)

Anyways Master Sunray ... it was my pleasure to make your acquaintance thanks.

Karmen
Old 08-10-04, 07:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Stretched limo

A stretched limo, eh?
Next time it had better be a stretched blitz, ie HUP.

Good to hear the process progresses, despite the frying pans.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-10-04, 08:45
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
A stretched limo, eh?
Next time it had better be a stretched blitz, ie HUP.

Good to hear the process progresses, despite the frying pans.
Listen up Keefy

I'll surely stretch and process YOU Master HUP BLITZ KEEFY hisssssself and may even KEEP and bring along JIF's CAST IRON SKILLET frying pan (and a fine deadly piece of workmanship it is too)... but not til after I've visited you-all on the other side of the BIG POND and driven a Blitz on the WRONG side of the road!

Then look-out

Hey...I forgot to mention, Master Sunray brought his camera ... a kindly cab driver snapped a pic to prove the Pixie Witch really IS a Pixie ... I come up to the Sunrays CHIN! I'm a little old and a little ugly, but hey, ya don't need youth and beauty when you've got good frying pans ;D

SENDS
Old 08-10-04, 08:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Show me the pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hey...I forgot to mention, Master Sunray brought his camera ... a kindly cab driver snapped a pic to prove the Pixie Witch really IS a Pixie ... I come up to the Sunrays CHIN! I'm a little old and a little ugly, but hey, ya don't need youth and beauty when you've got good frying pans ;D

SENDS
So where is the evidence, Geoff? Hmmmmm?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-10-04, 09:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
He's probably snoring and making obnoxious thundrous noises in his sleep and doesn't know I've started this thread, or where he left the camera
Old 08-10-04, 09:41
Vets Dottir

Default oops ... forgot to mention

I forgot to mention my most precious gift from Geoff ... a memento from his Normandy visit when he visitd my Uncle's resting place:

A T-Shirt with THIS on its front:

D-Day
Operation Overlord
June 6th
1944 - 2004

Karmen
Old 08-10-04, 10:02
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
I come up to the Sunrays CHIN!

You'd better bring your own child-sized hi-vis jacket for Yarrup then, me 'n the Dutch giant McSpool will be tripping over you else.

R.
Old 08-10-04, 10:20
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623

You'd better bring your own child-sized hi-vis jacket for Yarrup then, me 'n the Dutch giant McSpool will be tripping over you else.

R.
Ah, Master Long Tall R. One, Listen to YOU a think or two ... there shall be NO need of a hi-vis jacky round you skyscrapers ... I'm like a bat ... and sense which direction you-all will step before you step and I can fly like a bat outta ... well, you KNOW from whence a bat flies. From the same place a ... well never mind ... just be sure you wear hard boots to protect yore ankles tho. I bite when frying pans aren't available.

(Where's Marko : )

Old 08-10-04, 17:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
He's probably snoring and making obnoxious thundrous noises in his sleep and doesn't know I've started this thread, or where he left the camera
HARRUMPH!!! That's quite enough out of you, young lady!

Or, to use the vernacular... there's the pot talking to the kettle...

Now, where did I put that camera... note to self - get piccies developed...
Old 08-10-04, 20:06
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
HARRUMPH!!! That's quite enough out of you, young lady!

Or, to use the vernacular... there's the pot talking to the kettle...

Now, where did I put that camera... note to self - get piccies developed...
Ah... THERE you are Master Sunray. Slumber done and searching for your cammie?

Well, I sit here in my cool-temped bunker wrapped and warm in a Canadian Army issue khaki scarf ... thermal has GOT to be the best material EVER created (after buffalo hide and rabbit fur and spandex ) ... and I'm thinking ... "Whatver will I learn today, in this place called MLU?" as I sip my coffee and ............ time to check the other threads for brain food.

Hey Sunray ...
Old 08-10-04, 20:34
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
... just be sure you wear hard boots to protect yore ankles tho. I bite when frying pans aren't available.
Ah. . . . . . . .
Gaiters and blanco then.

R.
Old 08-10-04, 20:43
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
He's probably snoring and making obnoxious thundrous noises in his sleep
The Shirrell Heath LRDG concur.

:idea:
( Ask McSpool. . . . . . . . . . .about Beltring #1)

R.
Old 08-10-04, 21:07
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Ah. . . . . . . .
Gaiters and blanco then.

R.
"Blanco" was a khaki coloured cake, which you dipped a wet brush into and then applied the paste on your belt and webbing.

Okay ... "gaiters" ... would these be boots? Therefore "gaiters and blanco" = boots and polish?

Quote:
The Shirrell Heath LRDG concur.
( Ask McSpool. . . . . . . . . . .about Beltring #1)
Hmmmm .... me no comprehend-eh "Shirrell Heath" nor "LRDG" ... Oh Great Tall R. one?

MASTER DUTCH SKYSCRAPER ...this means "HEY... YOU THERE MASTER DUTCH-BOY... YOU with yore head in the clouds and the wooden shoes!!!! ... what can you tell me about Beltring #1?

Cheeky SENDS
Old 08-10-04, 22:04

Default Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Ask McSpool. . . . . . . . . . .about Beltring #1

R.
Ah, yes, Beltring 2000... McSpool was terribly decent. He said that because he snored so loudly, he didn't want to inflict himself on me in the tent, and graciously permitted me to sleep in the back of his car.

Nice people, those Dutch...
Old 08-10-04, 22:15

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Blanco was a khaki-coloured waterproofing which you used to paint your cotton web gear. I'll show you when you eventually decide to visit London.

Gaiters are anklets made out of webbing; you tucked your trouser bottoms into the top of them, and they went down over the top of your boots. Again, show 'n tell sometime soon.

Shirrell Heath is Richard's village of residence, north of Southampton. Nice place, and of course the focus of acitivity for the Solent Club, which Richard chairs.

I'm being polite, of course... Shirrell Heath and environs is actually populated by the most amazing collection of loonies. I can attest to that personally. You will meet them eventually, and I shall simply stand back and watch...

LRDG stands for "Long Range Desert Group", the model for the present day SAS. They used to take their trucks (most of which Canadian or American) thousands of miles out into the Western Desert in North Africa to conduct reconnaisance or resupply patrols. Quite a unique body of individuals, which, come to think of it, applies perfectly to the Shirrell Heath mob.

The Dutch Skyscraper has nothing more to add, although I suspect Mr. Notton may well. So I shall retire now.... I suspect the litter box needs cleaning, at least it did the last time I used it...

Quote:
"Blanco" was a khaki coloured cake, which you dipped a wet brush into and then applied the paste on your belt and webbing.

Okay ... "gaiters" ... would these be boots? Therefore "gaiters and blanco" = boots and polish?

Hmmmm .... me no comprehend-eh "Shirrell Heath" nor "LRDG" ... Oh Great Tall R. one?

MASTER DUTCH SKYSCRAPER ...this means "HEY... YOU THERE MASTER DUTCH-BOY... YOU with yore head in the clouds and the wooden shoes!!!! ... what can you tell me about Beltring #1?

Cheeky SENDS
Old 08-10-04, 22:51
Vets Dottir

Default Thanks Sunray ...

MOST informative of you, indeed, Master Sunray... Thank you
Old 08-10-04, 23:47
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Blanco was a khaki-coloured waterproofing which you used to paint your cotton web gear. I'll show you when you eventually decide to visit London.
There's a good chap, saved me hours of typing. . . . . but I will anyway.
Quote:
Gaiters are anklets made out of webbing; you tucked your trouser bottoms into the top of them, and they went down over the top of your boots. Again, show 'n tell sometime soon.
pay attention.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...ish-books2.htm
Some of these chaps have gaiters on, some have kilts, but we'll not worry about that; some have putees - long windings if you will.

Now Mr. Sunnington-Ballraywinn

"Stand still!!! You're wavin' abaht like a field of corn."

To get the trousers really tiddly you do NOT tuck them into your gaiters, invariably for us taller chaps, this results in the trouser legs pulling straight up and down rather than the nice puffed roll over the gaiters. Here's what you do.

Get an length of very old fashioned British house wiring cable that is lead sheathed, pull the conductors out to leave an oval tube of lead. Cut the lead into 3/8" (9.525mm for the metricated) lengths and thread onto an issue, leather thong (no, not a modern female undergarment) bootlace making a flexible loop of diameter somewhat greater than the fitted gaiter and about the diameter of the trouser leg.

Obtain a length of industrial strength 1/2" (12.7mm) wide knicker elastic and make two garters that are a tight fit on the gaiters.

Assemble so:
Apply trousers to lower body.
Fit garter to leg.
Fit sock.
Fit lead weights and slide up to knee to retain.
Fit boot and lace up correctly.
Fit gaiter.
Turn sock over top and outside of gaiter (stops riding up problems)
Lower garter and place around top of gaiter over sock.
Turn trouser bottoms outside in and tuck up under garter leaving a little lengthwise slack and ensuring garter retains sock and trouser leg.
Stand up to allow weighted thong to fall into turned-in trouser half-toroid thus formed, some jiggling may be required.
Go on parade.

The modern British Army now has high combat boots and uses the "twisty" bought from the camp shop - a number of fine bungees purposely arranged with a twist to make a fat loop; or may use a girls hair band I believe called a "scrunchy." Both methods produce the desired and reliably puffy trouser bottom.
Quote:
Shirrell Heath is Richard's village of residence, north of Southampton. Nice place, and of course the focus of acitivity for the Solent Club, which Richard chairs.
Correct.
Quote:
I'm being polite, of course... Shirrell Heath and environs is actually populated by the most amazing collection of loonies. I can attest to that personally. You will meet them eventually, and I shall simply stand back and watch...
Correct.
Quote:
LRDG stands for "Long Range Desert Group", the model for the present day SAS. They used to take their trucks (most of which Canadian or American) thousands of miles out into the Western Desert in North Africa to conduct reconnaisance or resupply patrols. Quite a unique body of individuals, which, come to think of it, applies perfectly to the Shirrell Heath mob.
But rather as the Long Range Display Group, much like the Oxford CMP lads epitomised by Mr P Ashby (part-time gent).

The fledling SAS-LRDG had that hell-raising Paddy Maine, he would rarely be satisfied with a reconnaisance or road watch patrol but rather gate-crash a Luftwaffe desert airfield with 2 or 3 jeeps armed unconventionally but usually with 2 Vickers K guns and more, then racing up and down the lines of aircraft shooting at everything and keeping the enemy heads down.
Quote:
The Dutch Skyscraper has nothing more to add, although I suspect Mr. Notton may well. So I shall retire now.... I suspect the litter box needs cleaning, at least it did the last time I used it...
Actually rather good stuff for oil spills too as that was the original design intention.

R.
Old 08-10-04, 23:57
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Ah, yes, Beltring 2000... McSpool was terribly decent. He said that because he snored so loudly, he didn't want to inflict himself on me in the tent, and graciously permitted me to sleep in the back of his car.

Of course if you believe that you are one of the tiny number of people that can plait (braid for the N. American continent) sawdust.

The last sentence is, however, correct. Nice people them Dutch, nice cheese, nice coffee and nice baccy. Nice govt that designates a legal wacky-baccy town centre area and allows you to pop off elsewhere when your mortal frame has irrevocably and unrepairedly failed, without throwing your helpers inside for years.

R.
Old 09-10-04, 01:32
Vets Dottir

Talking No Contest!

Quote:
pay attention.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages...tish-books2.htm
Some of these chaps have gaiters on, some have kilts, but we'll not worry about that; some have putees - long windings if you will.
says:

"I choose Bachelor Number #1 from The British Army 1939-45 N. W. Europe...hubba HUBBA YAPPPPPPPP YAP YAP well blow-pipe me a verra Scottish love song there and flip yore kilt I'll be dammed verra nice bachelor number #1!!!!" :love: (nice calves) YUM

Sorry Master R. ... a little too bang in the wee bittie lassie VD/PW brain to absorb the rest of the lesson right now swoon
Old 10-10-04, 16:50

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:

I can't believe I got away with that comment......
Old 10-10-04, 17:03

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
To get the trousers really tiddly you do NOT tuck them into your gaiters, invariably for us taller chaps, this results in the trouser legs pulling straight up and down rather than the nice puffed roll over the gaiters. Here's what you do.

Get an length of very old fashioned British house wiring cable that is lead sheathed, pull the conductors out to leave an oval tube of lead. Cut the lead into 3/8" (9.525mm for the metricated) lengths and thread onto an issue, leather thong (no, not a modern female undergarment) bootlace making a flexible loop of diameter somewhat greater than the fitted gaiter and about the diameter of the trouser leg.

Obtain a length of industrial strength 1/2" (12.7mm) wide knicker elastic and make two garters that are a tight fit on the gaiters.

Assemble so:
Apply trousers to lower body.
Fit garter to leg.
Fit sock.
Fit lead weights and slide up to knee to retain.
Fit boot and lace up correctly.
Fit gaiter.
Turn sock over top and outside of gaiter (stops riding up problems)
Lower garter and place around top of gaiter over sock.
Turn trouser bottoms outside in and tuck up under garter leaving a little lengthwise slack and ensuring garter retains sock and trouser leg.
Stand up to allow weighted thong to fall into turned-in trouser half-toroid thus formed, some jiggling may be required.
Go on parade.
My goodness, you weren't paying attention prior to the King's Stone parade, were you? Tsk-tsk.

While your method of making weights indeed works fine, mine took considerable less engineering - lead fishing weights bound by duct tape. I made them 25 years ago, and they're still going strong...

My B/D trousers are long, with the button/strap arrangement on the bottom of each cuff. Process:

Slide weights as described above onto each leg, running them up to the knee to hold in place.

Don trousers.

Don boots, then button up trouser cuffs.

Don gaiters over top of buttoned cuffs.

Stand up, slide weights down into the bloused portion of the trousers, moving the latter about to achieve a uniform blousing look.

If you've forgotten to put on underwear at this point, forget it... prepare to itch - ITCH OVER.

Pull up trousers, loop suspenders over shoulders, close up and prepare to don B/D jacket.

I will confess that I remain surprised and delighted to note all still fits after 25 years...
Old 10-10-04, 17:28

Default Re: Sunray Meets Yappy

Quote:
Geoff ... thank you for making this meeting happen. I was honoured and delighted, enjoyed it, and hope the next visit will be me in London so you can drag me around to meet some other MLU-ers.
The pleasure was all mine, Karmen, thank you for the privilege.

You shall indeed come down here for a visit, and you will meet all of us in southern Ontario. Count on it! Jon's a little over two hours' north, Mark is across the city, Bruce Parker's about 45 minutes' from here, Art's in Toronto (when he's not in Florida), and there are many more scattered hereabouts. We'll plan well in advance (just too bad we're slowly sliding towards winter right now).

Cheers, milady. You long ago earned your place with us here.

G.
Old 10-10-04, 20:58
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Beltring #1? You mean when us in Yurrup learned there was a Maple Leaf Down as well? Or do you want the real story?

O.k., here we go. While a Maple Leaf Downer every now and then during socialising was'nt too bad, I was not amused when I found out Sunray snored even worse while lying on his back in my small two-man DTB tent. Next night when we finally turned in after a few drinks Sunray was vast asleep a split second before his head hit his pillow and was snoring the night away. One of us had to move if I was going to have some sleep that night. Of course Sunray wouldn't wake up to the sound of a 25-pdr fired next to him, so my only option was to find shelter elsewhere. The back of Al's truck was already taken by another Canuck, so I opted to sleep in my own car. I did get some sleep, but next night I would be no more Mr Nice Guy. So the third evening, when Geoff was still awake I handed him my car keys and asked him to put on his snoring act there. All at Camp McStolly welcomed the sound deadening effects of metal and glass compared to light wieght nylon. I slept great that night, and without any remorse I might add

H. (awfully nice Dutchman)
Old 10-10-04, 21:26
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Nice govt that designates a legal wacky-baccy town centre area and allows you to pop off elsewhere when your mortal frame has irrevocably and unrepairedly failed, without throwing your helpers inside for years.
Not entirely correct, old chap. Wacky-baccy is officially illegal in Holland, but to some things we officially turn a blind eye. So one is allowed to buy softdrugs in small quantities for personal use, and the coffeeshop can sell it to you. However, they are not allowed to source it. But how on earth are they able to sell stuff if they are not allowed to buy it in quantities larges than for personal use?
:
Dutch practicality fouled by politics....

H.
Old 10-10-04, 21:49
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:

I can't believe I got away with that comment......
Hey, c'mon. Use proper sized type that I don't need my glasses for; and no, you didn't get away with it, you just omitted to read my previous post.

You need a stint with Ballard in the ROC you do.

R.
Old 10-10-04, 21:55
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretched limo

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Beltring #1? You mean when us in Yurrup learned there was a Maple Leaf Down as well? Or do you want the real story?

All at Camp McStolly welcomed the sound deadening effects of metal and glass compared to light wieght nylon. I slept great that night, and without any remorse I might add
Yes we did and everlastingly grateful to McSpool we are too, snoring on a par with 8 round Bren gun bursts, the first start of a 24 pot H engined Typhoon or that twat who rode round and round on an unsilenced old two-stroke motor bike.

Quote:
H. (awfully nice Dutchman)
As I will readily attest.

R.
Old 10-10-04, 22:05
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Not entirely correct, old chap. Wacky-baccy is officially illegal in Holland, but to some things we officially turn a blind eye.
And here we have an outbreak of official common sense, quite in keeping with the Dutch attitude. How nice you refer to the Nelson touch, our hero. "Ships? I see no ships."

Quote:
So one is allowed to buy softdrugs in small quantities for personal use, and the coffeeshop can sell it to you. However, they are not allowed to source it. But how on earth are they able to sell stuff if they are not allowed to buy it in quantities larges than for personal use?
:
Dutch practicality fouled by politics....
Hmmmm, a little more work to do yet then, not quite an epedemic of common sense yet.

R.
Old 10-10-04, 22:13

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Hey, c'mon. Use proper sized type that I don't need my glasses for; and no, you didn't get away with it, you just omitted to read my previous post.
Ignored, more like...

That a bit better, old fella?
Old 10-10-04, 22:43
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Ignored, more like...

That a bit better, old fella?
Oh, thanks awfully old chap.

I'll deal with your insubordination later, ignored indeed. Pfffft, I should coco.

R.
Old 23-10-04, 04:37

Default Re: Show me the pictures

Quote:
Oh, quit whingeing, Keefy! Here's a couple for you blokes to put into perspective:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karmengeoff1.jpg (66.6 KB, 211 views)