MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-09, 02:39
Mr. HUP

Default 2009 at the Hammond Barn

Welcome to the New Year and the new Hammond Barn thread. It is always nice to start with a clean slate, so today, Bob, Grant and I spent some time at the barn doing chores. It was only minus 18oC with a wind chill that took it to about minus30oC at times. The boys beat me to the barn today and had just sparked up Lucifer when I arrived.

Bob and Grant played with the new snow blower - I think they are making it into a transformer...Not much was done with bare hands outside or inside the barn today. The boys looked chilly...

I did a scrap metal clean up and rearranged beneath one of the work tables. We reestabled our rag supply and had fun ripping up some old shirts and unmentionables that were donated to the cause. This was followed up by installing two radiator support mounts - thanks to Phil Waterman for the photos of his HUP...much appreciated.

Here are some of the major goals for the Hammond Quartet this year:
End of Summer Update
Dress "Lettie" (Bob's truck) up in her sheet metal;In progress
Get my HUP - AKA "Metal Mistress" running; Done
Get Grant's engine into his radio truck; Working on that
Test Guy's sewing ability; Done - shift boot
Install new shelves in the attic of the barn;Later
Clean the barn; A never ending chore
Conduct a pole barn building feasibility study;Done - looks like sea containers might be a substitute
Do the Barrie Flea Market - twice; Done
Go to CC; and Missed it - literally and figuratively
Organize and conduct BBB3. Shit canned for this year - it's the economy, you know...

It should be a great year at the Hammond Barn. We will keep you posted!

Last edited by RHClarke; 23-09-09 at 04:25.
Old 02-01-09, 05:14
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Oh my...

Sally's first thought was, "So that's where Santa's elves go after Christmas!". All I thought was that it's good to see you mangy lot survived New Year's...

We look forward to a good number of entertaining get-togethers this coming year!! Drive on, lads...

Old 02-01-09, 18:27

Geoff, ask Sally if she meant Santa's elves or is it Sneezy and Grumpy?

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 02-01-09, 19:56
Mr. HUP

Default Snow at the Barn

If the snowfall for the month of December is any indication, we are in for a good load of it in the New Year. Here is a small taste of what our Aussie friends are missing:

Clive's shelter interior shot:

Clive's shelter exterior before shot:

Clive's shelter exterior after shot:

This shelter has a 8 foot peak. The design of the shelter causes the snow to (hopefully) slide off, but this builds up a lot of force against the shelter necessitating clearing every few weeks or so. Certainly worth "Deu Biyair", n'est pas, zanmi, Clive?

Last edited by RHClarke; 03-01-09 at 05:25.
Old 03-01-09, 23:16
Mr. HUP

Default 45 hup history

Whilst surfing today, I came upon an interesting website that showed the allocation of UK War Dept numbers. I think a few of our members are familiar with this website and perhaps there are others out there. Curious, I scrolled down thru the contract numbers and recognized my HUP's contract number. My HUP was built under contract SM 6407 and is mentioned on the website:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...k/warchev.html

For info purposes and just in case my computer burns up, or my son reformats the hard drive, I'll store shots of the HUP data plates here:

Anyone have a C-8A-04 Spare Parts List?
Old 04-01-09, 21:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Whilst surfing today, I came upon an interesting website that showed the allocation of UK War Dept numbers. I think a few of our members are familiar with this website and perhaps there are others out there. Curious, I scrolled down thru the contract numbers and recognized my HUP's contract number. My HUP was built under contract SM 6407 and is mentioned on the website:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...k/warchev.html
Rob,

That page was compiled by our resident GM Historian David Hayward. He probably got your HUP's details off this forum.

Hanno
Old 05-01-09, 03:36
Mr. HUP

Default The Hammond Dwarfs Dine in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Geoff, ask Sally if she meant Santa's elves or is it Sneezy and Grumpy?
That would leave five others including Bashful, Doc, Happy, Sleepy and Dopey (who votes Liberal so I'm disqualified). I'll take Bashful because of my retiring style...

Here is what we were up to today in Ottawa's frigid region:

Bob and Grant fed the chickens or salted the doorway.

After that fun we dug out the trailers in preparation for a potential road trip(s). Bob headed for the house to fix dinner for the annual Hammond Christmas time dinner.

Grant and I played with the HUP front fender and managed to wrestle it on.

This fender came with the HUP and was like the others, a pretzel wannabe with some missing metal. I had it restored but in the process the metal got distorted and the bolt holes did not match up with the capture nuts too well. However, a few minutes with a bottle jack and Grant's advice and assistance won the day.

Later we retired to Chateau Carriere for some of Bob and Joyce's finest food and wine. After a day in the cold, the warm house, fine wine and great food put us in the mood to chat about the upcoming year. And what a year it should be. Bob hit the jackpot with Joyce as his better half. She is an incredible supporter of the CMP cause and encourages Bob in the pursuit of this great hobby.

Bob models his new jacket received as a Christmas present:

A close up of the logo:

And all I got from my wife was a nudie calendar...

Last edited by RHClarke; 13-01-09 at 23:34.
Old 18-01-09, 22:56
Mr. HUP

Default Quiet at the Barn

It's been too freakin cold for outside the barn work the past few weeks. We have been limited to short periods of work inside the barn. Today, the temp went up to -16oC! Downright balmy...a good day to work in the shelter.

I spent most of the morning working on my front pax side door. Bent hinge arms, loose hinges, missing brass spacers and the cold weather made it a longer than usual job to hang just one small door. This shot shows the stamping lines and the outline for the wiring diagram plate:

The almost finished product:

Bob showed up mid-morning to off load the goodies we got from Greg Wright. After stowing our canvas and rags, Bob and I headed to the barn with two new additions. Greg provided the barn with two large fire extinguishers - much appreciated additions to the barn. Bob and I set one each in the front and rear portion of the barn.

Grant was busy at home today, so we didn't see him at the barn. At noon, we went to Mike's Place in Hammond (our new haute cuisine locale) for a good breakfast. Following that, more clean up and small tasks. Bob grabbed his doors and did a rust damage assessment.

Some interesting markings on Bob's door.

After the wood fire burned down in Lucifer, Bob and I headed out for domestic chores.

Last edited by RHClarke; 19-01-09 at 18:00. Reason: Poor French...
Old 22-01-09, 15:35
Greg Wright

Hi Rob,

Glad to see that you were able to use the extinguishers, I was tired of tripping over them mounted on the posts. I have set some water fire extinguishers aside for the barn when you are welding. I have some more rags as well if you need them. Your hup is looking good. It's great to see you guys working together to restore your trucks. Keep the pictures coming on the progress. Thanks for the invite to gracies.

Cheers,
Greg