MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 13-10-07, 00:48

Default "Lost" LAAT

A long, long time ago I sold an F60s LAAT to the Grange Cavern Military Museum in North Wales. This one was used by the Bristol Bus Co. and based at Wells and/or Weston from 1947 to the mid 1970s. When the Museum assets were auctioned off some 20 years ago, the Ford was bought by one Gary Wood and, since then, I've lost track of it. Does anybody know of its subsequent fate or where it is now?
Keith(Orpin),I suspect this mystery may be up your street. I'm amazed I spotted the LAAT body before you did! I must have cleaned my glasses recently.
One more thing. Gary, if you're reading this, can I PLEASE have my workshop manual and parts book back, as they were only LOANED to you!
Rhett.
Old 13-10-07, 10:19
former Resident Historian

Default Suggestion

Hi Rhett! I drove over the Hants/Wilts border this morning at 0530 en route Salisbury but quickly retreated to safety back over the line...daughter dropped off at work!

Is the rego number known? If it is still registered with the DVLA you can check online to see if it is still, and then if you pay £5 I think it is, and write a letter to Swansea with a stamped envelope inside they may pass on your note to the registered keeper. Say to the DVLA that it is for historical purposes, etc.
Old 15-10-07, 10:09
MLU Administrator

Rhett, please sit down for a moment.

According to the thread Sad news, Gary Wood lost his life in a fatal road accident with a Canadian Ford gun tractor in Lancashire last year.
Old 09-07-21, 22:00
MLU Administrator

Here’s a bit of background on Rhett’s LAAT

Click image for larger version

Name:	37DB519D-E5D0-4526-9FA4-3970CF2A6AE9.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	548.4 KB
ID:	123457
Old 14-07-21, 00:18

I have what's left of Rhett's truck!
Old 14-07-21, 09:54

I need to clear up the apparent confusion with the LAATs in this thread as it involves two of them which I acquired from the Bristol Omnibus Co. in the 1970s, one went to the Grange Cavern museum and was subsequently purchased by Paul Wood; the other is now owned by Anthony.
I have yet another one which was purchased about five years ago and is 'pending' whilst I make up my mind what to do with it! :-)
Old 14-07-21, 16:11
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Fisher View Post
I need to clear up the apparent confusion with the LAATs in this thread as it involves two of them which I acquired from the Bristol Omnibus Co. in the 1970s, one went to the Grange Cavern museum and was subsequently purchased by Paul Wood; the other is now owned by Anthony.
I have yet another one which was purchased about five years ago and is 'pending' whilst I make up my mind what to do with it! :-)
Thanks for clearing that up, Rhett. Of course we should not forget the real CMP afficionado has more than one of them ;-)