MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-06-05, 00:02

Default Found CMP C6OL

The C60 CMP with a Sicard blower mounted on it is a donation to the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum. www.airmuseum.ca

My questions: Were CMPs alloted to the RCAF?
Would the sicard be an original mounting or were the units mated post WWII?
Attached Images

Old 29-06-05, 00:14

Default 2nd one I've seen

Found one of these back in 1984 near Rockwood Ontario at a farm equipment dealer. I'll try and find the photos.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-06-05, 00:53

Default C60

Thanks Phil, then it may not be an oddity.

We already have an 1944 FWD/Sno-Go @ the CATPM.

I was thinking if the truck turns out not to be a period piece then it might be up for trades etc.

I have pictures of Sicards used during the"Plan" but have not seen one on a CMP before.
Old 29-06-05, 04:43

Default Look at the cab.....

I have enlarged the cab area of the snoblo.....look at the fron fender..... seems the whole cab was lifted and filler panels were fitted above the fenders........

In the Ottawa area such snoblowers were very common..... almost every decent size town had a few....some were original ex RACF....... remember the WWII was first to introduce Winter flying as we know it today..... runways used to be rolled not plowed and planes had skis....... of necessity I beleive snoblowers were improved, modified....maybe originating first with the railway system......

It would be interesting to do the history of all the modification.... unfortunately a lot must have been done in local field units.... only David Hayward can tell us if the were ever actually ordered as such.... or cab frames were later modified.

I recall seing some small one.... short wheel base....say 134" and unless my failing memory of what I remembver seeing as a kid... the rear engine had a driveshaft arrangement running along the outside of the truck encased in sheet metal..... the rear engine drove the blower fan exclusively...... I do not recall seeing hydraulic drives in those days. Most had additional windows installed in every bling area of the cab 13....even the doors had windows in the bottom panels.......

The really big ones.... long wheel base were usually painted yellow... ex RACF yellow...... the drive shaft from the rear engine was buried underneath on the bigger ones.

Being right hand drive they were very handy at following the side of the side walk.

Snow banks in those days were removed maybe once a month along main streets such as bus route..... they may have been 5 to 6 feet tall 8 to 10 feet at the base... the large blowers could clear almost 8 feet wide...... kids had the nasty habits of burrowing snow forts in such snobanks and kids, dogs and other careless passerbys have been known to be sucked in and instantly shredded into the recieving dump trucks....... the dump truck was usually covered by a tarp ..so was the blower and they were driven away after the coroner made the usual investigation.

Today it is illegal to drive/operate a snowblower on a city street without having a security person walking in front of the machine in constant view pof the operator.

In my rural neighbourhood alsmost every year or so a well meaning absent minded operator gets off his farm tractor equipped with a snowblower to clear a jam or do maintenance while the auger are operating.....Zapp..... in a matter fo second they get sucked in half wayup... some are lucky enough to die instantly.....

So much for red snow....... who else recalls seeing these monsters on the street of Canada. City archives maybe helpful.

The difficult part would be to sort out the ones designed/built during the war from the ones built by enterprising city yard staff or even industrial suppliers who bought surplus cab 13 and retro fitted something that may resemble a previous military model.

Ah.. the good old days!!!!
Attached Images

Canada
Old 29-06-05, 05:46

Default Sno-Go

Thanks Bob,
I have another snoblower in the collection at the museum. It is definetly RCAF as I know its complete history. It is an FWD truck with a Sno-Go blower powered by a Climax gasoline engine
Its use was exactly as you stated

The C60 unit isn't quite as large but Sicard being Canadian built has some merit for being in the Motor Transport collection.
The Sicard is powered by a Buda diesel.

Off topic slightly; in regards to Williams at the JD dealer in Cumberland. I worked for him in the late 60's and early 70's.

John has a restored Dodge ATP and a Willys. If you see him say hello from me.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
rcaf snogo copy.jpg  
Old 29-06-05, 12:30
former Resident Historian

Default Reply

Quote:
It would be interesting to do the history of all the modification.... unfortunately a lot must have been done in local field units.... only David Hayward can tell us if the were ever actually ordered as such.... or cab frames were later modified.

I have no evidence that any were. However I have plenty on the FWDs plus a few photos.