MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 26-09-15, 01:58
Shop Dog

Default mystery axles

Hi. I've recently come into a pair of GM axles and im a little stumped trying to figure out what they came from. They have a nice set of 20" combat wheels,big 60ct brakes but the rear diff is offset to the side (right)and the steering is on the left.
I was thinking they may have come out of an otter but the pics have the operator on the right..
What do you experts say? Im out of theories..

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2014-09-09 17.41.40.jpg   2014-09-09 17.40.00.jpg  
Old 26-09-15, 02:40

Does it look like the steering arm and bearing caps might have been switched side to side, moving right to left, to throw off identification? I've seen cases where people did that as part of a plan to create a LHD C15A.
Old 26-09-15, 20:06

Corey,

I just had a look through CMA-01 Chevrolet and GM Illustrated Catalogue of Major Assemblies dated August 1944 and I cannot find a match for the front axle. None of the axles have a steering dampener setup like yours and none of them have steering on the left. I will echo Grant's thoughts that potentially someone modified the axle to suit their application.

The rear axle appears to be a 1799433 with applications listed as C30, C60S, C60L and CGT. (It is the only rear axle with that style of cast differential housing).

From the freshly disturbed rust on the spring mounts it looks like they were recently removed from a vehicle. Do you know what they came off of and could this explain the front axle's steering setup being modified?

Colin
Old 26-09-15, 22:47

Default Steering Damper

Hi All

I noticed steering damper as well, two of my CMPs have these, both after market, both installed by me, so suspect they are a later addition.

As to moving the steering knuckle from one side to the other, that is a really interesting idea, wonder if the bolt holes line up.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 26-09-15, 22:56
Terry Warner

Not having any materials to back up my suggestion, but maybe off a postwar GMC 2 1/2 ton M211?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 26-09-15, 23:13

One of the examples of steering arm being switched side-to-side I referred to is my C15A. The steering arm was mounted to the left knuckle (fit fine there) as part of a conversion to LHD planned, started but not completed by the previous owner and fit properly when I switched it back to the right side.
The axle is not likely M135/M211, it has little resemblance to the axles that were on the M135 I used to own (or the images in the manuals).
Old 27-09-15, 03:10
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
One of the examples of steering arm being switched side-to-side I referred to is my C15A. The steering arm was mounted to the left knuckle (fit fine there) as part of a conversion to LHD planned, started but not completed by the previous owner and fit properly when I switched it back to the right side.
The axle is not likely M135/M211, it has little resemblance to the axles that were on the M135 I used to own (or the images in the manuals).
Thanks for the clarification. It was the big-heavy-GMC-truck-front-axle part that made me suggest that.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 27-09-15, 04:12
carrier mech

M135/M211 did not have the bolt on knuckles on the front, nor spring seats in the rear. They also had square yokes for the drive shafts.
Old 28-09-15, 07:04
Shop Dog

Thanks guys..yes the steering dampner looks to be an add on. Yes they recently came out of a vehicle but it was a lifted 80's chevy..go figure..i was trying to trade for a set of M211 axles..these were advertised as such with no picture..the kid tried to pull a quick drop switch on me..i had some 1600-20 michelin xls for him..he turned up at my yard early called me and asked if it was ok to transload..i said sure as i was only a few minutes away..
Little did the kid know i was exactly the guy to bring that stuff too haha..i have a Ford f60L that needs a set of combat rims.. so it worked out great. I was just scratching my head over the axles..left side steering and the offset chunk in the rear..i guess my ford having a centered rear threw me off..

Next question...whats the story with the pinion bearings for these units? Are they avaiable?
The rear has some slop to it that will have to be addressed before it finds its new home.

Thanks again guys.