MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 12-11-06, 00:33

Default Two Minutes of Time

I do not know if many of you have seen this before, but even if you have, it is good to see again on this November 11th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg

Worth the wait even if you only have dial-up.

Tom
Old 12-11-06, 00:48

Default A Pittance in Time

Very very good.......................
Old 12-11-06, 06:12

Thanks for the link, I'd heard about this and wanted to see it.

Murray
Old 12-11-06, 07:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Friday at 1100h, my company had their two minutes of silence. I stood. Slowly, after about 30 secs, so did those around me. Then some dickhead pulled the fire alarm.

I could cheerfully have gutted him.
Old 12-11-06, 18:13
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Friday at 1100h, my company had their two minutes of silence. I stood. Slowly, after about 30 secs, so did those around me. Then some dickhead pulled the fire alarm.

I could cheerfully have gutted him.
I'm glad you stood and started others, but I would have thought this Remembrance standing for 2 minutes of silence happens there every year? Surely company policy allows it and the workers should know this?

Does anyone know who pulled the alarm? Argh!!!

Karmen
Old 16-11-06, 04:25

I'm a Rotarian & my Dad Landed on Normandy Beach on D-Day & I play this video each year at thr Rotary meeting before Remebrance Day each year. I love it. It makes my heart swell to know that my Dad was one of the people talked about in this video.

My Dad has passed away & while I took him to Normandy for the 50th Anniversary of D-Day, I still have many questions that remain unanswered & hope that somehow, somewhere, someone can provide me with these answers.

All I have to go on is knowing that my Dad was attached to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, 4th L.A.A Regt, R.C.A., 32nd Bty. His dog tags have the following enscribed on them: H59786, BDR IVERSON, WF, CE CDN.

I can only assume that there must be a way to find out exactly what my Dad's involvement was during his tenure through this information. The only thing I really know is that he was in charge of a piece of field artillery & I believe he landed on D-Day around 11:00am.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A son of a Veteran, Grant
Old 16-11-06, 04:48
Vets Dottir

Hi Grant,

It sounds like you don't have your Dad's service records, which would give you a whole lot of answers about your Dad's service years from enlistment onwards, including overseas activities.

i think that's totally awesome that your Dad got over there for the 50th anniversary and you got to be with him there. What an important experience to share between father and son!!!

If you want to know how and where to request his records etc, I can look for that info and give it to you. I have it somewhere on my computer and its already posted in the forum here somewhere too (I forget where). As to cost, when I got my Uncle's records I paid about .40 cents per page for photocopied pages of his records they hold at National Archives.

Karmen
Old 20-11-06, 06:00

I don't mind paying a fee to get my Dad's records. It would help me understnad exactly what he went through during the war. Any hep you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I once again stood & listened to the Remebrance Day Ceremonies. I then went ot the Legion & bought all the Veterans a drink. It was the 1st time im 8 years that the cost went up. Why? New Canadians fighting in wars around the world. Very sad>