MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 07-07-13, 04:26

Default Diamond T 975 Cab and Chassis

Does anybody know if these Diamond T based vehicles used by the Canadian Army in World War Two were ordered under specifically Canadian Contracts, or were they all built to US military contracts and repurposed for Canadian needs?

The only ones I have ever been inside of in Canada were both wreckers and bore USMC Data Plates circa WW2 production.

David
Old 07-07-13, 11:57

David,

The Long wheelbase "975" and "975A" were exclusively built for the Canadian army, while the wreckers,the short wheelbase "969", were supplied to the US army as well as Canada. Bart Vanderveen published an article on Canadian Diamonds in Wheels and Tracks magazine.
According to the wheels and tracks article, most Canadian 975's and 969's were supplied to Canadian contract CDLV 587 (403 wreckers, 1118 Long wheels base cab chassis). 975's were delivered as cab chassis; bodies were built and fitted in Canada. The 969 was supplied as a complete unit.
The article also states that the above contract doesn't cover all trucks, as there is evidence that more 975's were delivered. Additional trucks might have been in contract CD 201.

On delivery Canadian Diamonds were only fitted with one headlamp and not fitted with headlight brushguards. According to the article, some Diamonds were fitted with a second headlamp and brush guards in the field....while the which was removed on some vehicles.
I don't know if the above is for all Canadian Diamonds, or only the 975's.

I think it's safe the say you shouldn't find USMC markings on a 975, unless the cab was replaced sometime during it's life. Sadly the article doesn't give much details on the Canadian 969's, so I am not sure if there was any difference between Canadian and American 969's on delivery and if ex-US wreckers were supplied to Canada at some stage. Even though period photos of Canadian 969's show detail differences with American 969's, I presume some of these mods were done in the field(?)

Alex
Old 07-07-13, 15:41

Default I can add a crumb.

I've seen one of these trucks, didn't note the model number, but it was a Diamond T made specifically for the Canadian army and longer wheelbase than a wrecker or cargo, so sounds like the same. It was fitted with a very nice Bay City crane, convertible to clamshell shovel setup.

Near Porsgrunn in Oslofjord, around 1990, and belonging to a Norwegian club member. Presumably purchased from the auctions at Kongsberg which wasn't that far away.
Old 08-07-13, 18:19

Default Alex

Thanks for that information, Alex. Good to know that as long as the data plates have not been wogged from the cab of the truck, one would be able to ID a Canadian Contract Diamond T.

I assume as well, the data plates would follow the usual convention of identifying what the final vehicle was: DENT, MACH, WIRE etc.

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 10-07-13 at 16:27.