MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-08, 13:06
Communications Field tech

Default Dsplay Ordenance reproduction Legality

Hi again? I searched but didnt find anything regarding this.

What is the status reproduction (dummy) ordenance and weapons to display on a carrier in Canada. (Ontario)

I am looking at buying or making things like mortar and round, Piat, smoke discharger out of wood and or plastic. Completely non functional.

I am sort of familiar with the legality of owning reproduction of prohibited firearms. But these are not strictly speaking firearms that are being modeled.

Does anyone have experience regarding this and what about receiving above items in the mail purchased from the US?

Thanks
Old 04-04-08, 15:44
David Pope

With mortars and smoke dispensers you don't need any paper for the real thing so I don't see where there'd be a problem, but I'd still check with the powers that be. You never know how their minds might work.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 04-04-08, 16:48
carrier mech

The first problem with ordnance these days, including reproduction and inert, is that Canada Post has prohibited it's transport by mail. While it will likely not be detected in domestic parcels, any parcels coming from the US are subject to scrutiny including X ray. If it has ordnance, or reproduction ordnance, you lose it. If it's good enough to look like the real thing, then it falls under the prohibition. Doesn't matter if it's made of plastic, wood, lead, or marshmallow.

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/co....asp?prid=1192

October 23, 2006
Mailing of inert or replica munitions now illegal in Canada
Ottawa - Canada Post today announced amendments to the Non-Mailable Matter Regulations prohibiting the mailing of inert of replica munitions into Canada, out of Canada, or within Canada. The new regulations became law effective October 4, 2006.

In recent years several inert or replica grenades and artillery shells were found in the mail stream which resulted in numerous evacuations of postal facilities. These evacuations cause stress for employees and have a significant impact on mail processing and delivery standards.

As a responsible employer, Canada Post applied for and received approval for amendments to the Non-Mailable Matter Regulations, prohibiting the mailing of inert or replica explosives. The change was published in the Canada Gazette Part II on October 4, 2006.

Continued exposure to these replica or inert munitions poses a real danger and de-sensitizes Canada Post and Canada Border Services Agency employees to instances where there may be a genuine explosive device. It is hoped that the new Regulation amendments will serve as a deterrent to those who may consider sending these items through the mail.
Old 04-04-08, 19:00
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The first problem with ordnance these days, including reproduction and inert, is that Canada Post has prohibited it's transport by mail.
There are all sorts of problems with real or imagined ordnance, weapons systems amd small arms. The belief that "With mortars and smoke dispensers you don't need any paper for the real thing so I don't see where there'd be a problem" is not as true as it used to be.
The Crinminal Code deiines firearms so loosely that even a 25-pdr Howitzer is now a 'firearm'. A 40mm Bofors that discharges more than a single round with a single pressure of the trigger is a "full automatic", a wood mock-up of a firearm, if it is identical in all respects, is a replica and therefore a prohibited device. Even if your ex-military item is not a weapon you may still get caught up by the Controlled Goods Act which controls military and strategic goods and is administered by Public Works. Be very careful of bringing any of the above to the attention of the authorities unless you have solid evidence that you are acting within the law.
Old 04-04-08, 19:55
carrier mech

I had actually started writing a paragraph about the controlled goods act in my response, but deleted it when I reread his post about making ordnance out of wood. But your response about the controlled goods is an important note to those thinking that we don't regulate these artifacts. Seems like this department is starting to develop its claws in the last few years, and certainly it's potential to control what we have always considered as merely collectible items may prove to be overwhelming in the future.
Old 04-04-08, 22:32
Taisto Hako-oja

And people think we are a "FREE" country.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP