MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-11-12, 02:54
Mr. HUP

Default Excuses, excuses, excuses

I know that this subject has been broached a number of times in various threads, so I thought I would collect in this thread the "excuses" we have all heard when someone who owns a CMP, just can't come to part with it.

My most recent experience was trying to convince a chap to sell a HUP to me. His excuse for not selling was that he was going to convert the truck into a "off-road monster truck when we get the time and money to do so."

Others that I have heard:

I am going to restore it. Someday. (As it sits exposed and rusting away on wet ground)

You couldn't afford it. (Won't even fix a price to it)

I'm saving it for my son. (If he ever gets interested in the hobby - wait a minute! That's one of my excuses!)

I need it for parts. (As it sits among a number of other CMP hulks.)

I don't want to damage the lawn/field/path/road/quarry/flowers/trees, so it can't be moved and therefore isn't for sale (Even the parts as we all know that footprints are environmentally unfriendly.)

I promised it to a friend (20 years ago...)

It's my next project (Among 10 other vehicle "projects")

I'm sure you all have heard some of these and others. Got any to share?
Old 14-11-12, 04:11
carrier mech

"Someone offered me a brand new truck for it a few years ago, so that is the price" (for a cab 11 truck sitting on it's rims just outside of Regina).
Old 14-11-12, 04:28
3RD ECHELON WKSP

In the case of a 1942 Willys MB CDLV 505 contract jeep sitting just yards away from my home, 5 years later still in the same place and not mine;
" I have owned that jeep since I was 18 years old, lots of fond memories, going to restore it..."
And this coming from the guy who owns it and has more money that most of us on MLU. He could restore it in a heartbeat with deep pockets and endless funds, so technically his excuses, like all other are bulls**t.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 14-11-12, 14:27
carrier mech

Actually, I guess I am still guilty of it myself. I still have an old CJ7 out back in the line-up that I bought back in 1984 while I was on my TQ5 course in Borden Ontario. She has had just about everything replaced at least one, and has a serious case of body cancer, but I just can't let it go. I have had more than a few guys show up in the yard wanting to buy it but here she will stay. I am going to restore it some day. Either that or I'll be buried in it.

It has a 360 V8, a T-18 transmission, and a Warn 8000 lb winch. All heavy duty options you just can't find these days in a jeep. But I knew I was in trouble a decade back when the fuel pump was a special order at the local parts supply house.
Old 15-11-12, 03:59
3RD ECHELON WKSP

There is a difference Rob...You as a collector/restorer have done a great deal for the hobby with your wealth of guidance and knowledge, lending hands and dealings with others on parts and vehicles. I think you have earned at least one "gimme".
Its those darned hoarders who can't give up anything to save their life, let along a rusted out old hulk that will die a slow death.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 23-11-12, 01:15
aut viam inveniam aut fac

oh boy.. have i heard lots of these excuses.. one from an 80+ year old guy who wouldn't sell a rusty old parts truck- heavily modified into a dump... oh im gonna restore it one day..wont take much at all, coat o paint basically... ( well it might have run 40 yrs ago when left parked in the open.)

another..non-military.. MG-TD parked in a yard.. obviously been there for years.. but potentially restorable... not for sale...gonna restore it... ten years later...much worse for wear..not for sale.. ten years later --basically a large pile of rust with some rubber tires emerging from the pile.

or the ridiculous prices..similar to the story of the new truck-trade.. "some guy" told me it was worth x-thousand dollars.... sheesh..