Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-07-06, 04:11
Brad Mills

Default \

\
Old 17-07-06, 04:26
RIP

Call International Trade in Ottawa about an import permit. 613-944-0470.

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 17-07-06 at 16:09.
Old 17-07-06, 15:34
RIP

Default Transport to Canada ??

Hi Brad,
I've worked in ocean transport for years.Atlantic Container Line(ACL) ship out of Southhampton and sail directly into Halifax,close to you.Their ships are roll-on/ roll-off capable.Depending on the weight/measure of the ferret(L x W x Ht) or weight,this will affect the shipping charge.There will also be a handling charge for handling and discharging this end when you pick it up at the pier.This is cheaper because you would have to pay an additional inland transport fee to bring it to Truro.Call the local ACL office in Halifax and they'll be glad to help.Good luck on the purchase.
Old 17-07-06, 16:25
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Brad, please see my PM sent you

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-08-06, 21:46
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Looking for Clive to chime in on this as i too have a question regarding armour importation.
Maybe it has been answered before, but, what are the restictions if any with regard to vehicles fitted with a main gun?
Does one have to have the main gun deactivated to satisfy customs?

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 28-08-06, 22:16
RIP

It is not Customs that you have to satisfy but the Dept of Foreign Affairs and International Trade who control the import and export of military goods. Customs (or CBSA as they are now known) take their lead from the DFAIT Import Permit.
When I was there I took the stance that individuals would have to deface the chamber by enlarging it, deface the breech face and insert a sleeve in the barrel.
For museums, I would demand only the sleeve which would still allow them to fire blanks.
Call Paul at 613-944-0470 for current policies. There is an Import Permit requirement but this is only $16.00. If you don't have the permit, approved by Paul at DFAIT, then your goods could be seized or held in (expensive) storage until you do.
Hint - use a customs broker. It's cheaper in the long run.
Old 30-08-06, 17:31
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Clive, thanks again for the tips yesterday.
Another question, does any of this pertain to softskin vehicles as well, that is to say, is an import permit required for these type of vehicles too?
If a fellow is trying to import an old army truck for example are there any problems or is it more straigtforward than importing armoured vehicles???

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 30-08-06, 22:27
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
When I was there I took the stance that individuals would have to deface the chamber by enlarging it, deface the breech face and insert a sleeve in the barrel.
Any weapon coming from the UK will have a Birmingham Proof House de-activation certificate and have the proof house stamp on it, the gun laws here are very severe with a four (may be five) year jail sentence mandatory. Even a major part of what was made as a gun is regarded as a complete and fireable weapon by the law.

Even air guns are only permitted at 12 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and so to be safe you probably only get 10. . . . . . . .

Not commonly known but even the vehicle smoke dischargers are a "gun" here and require official de-activation; the slot they put in them is commonly filled with car body filler, or I see now alloy or resin replicas are available. With six on a Ferret you could have a very long stay inside at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Read the 212 pages of law for yourself!!!!
http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news...ion%20stamp%22

There are two "standards" of de-act, the earlier allows the mechanism to be manually operated but the later has everything welded shut. You will find in both cases the chamber has a hard pin welded across it and is slot cut longitudinally for some 1.5 case lengths, the barrel will have a full length, tight fitting rod welded in also.

The bolt will have its face ground off at 45º and the firing pin missing, gas operated weapons will be missing the piston, removeable barrels will be welded and pinned to the body.

Broadly they do such a job on them that making a complete new one from nothing is "easier" than attempting a "re-act", but it is unlikely that the UK spec and certification, severe as it may be, is recognised elsewhere.

Only criminals are allowed guns here.

R.
Old 30-08-06, 22:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton
Broadly they do such a job on them that making a complete new one from nothing is "easier" than attempting a "re-act", but it is unlikely that the UK spec and certification, severe as it may be, is recognised elsewhere.
I think you'll find the UK is adhering to an EU spec, as it sounds an awful lot like what they do to demil guns here in Holland.

Still, you can clobber someone to death with a gun fully welded shut....

...or should I not have mentioned this? Did I give someone a reason to fully ban any sort of demilled guns?

H.
Old 30-08-06, 22:54
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Richard, thank you for your post.
Over here it comes down to satisfying the authorities in order not to have your goods seized.
After a lengthy talk with Clive, one would best leave deactivated weapons in the UK rather than try to import them with a vehicle. The only other option is to have them shipped in under an approved weapons importers license and have them professionally inspected, de-activated and unregistered here by the same importer who is licensed for such. Basically they come in as operational weapons although they may have undergone deact in the UK.
My main questions were more to do with things like live artillery and smokes dischargers as commonly found on British AFVs.
A fellow here in Canada is required to obtain an import license and satisfy the DFAIT office as to what has been done to the piece to satisfy their requirements and forward same to the dealer in the UK. The exporter in the UK can then apply for an export permit, as the UK government will ask for the import permit from Canada before issuing an export permit .

Tell me I basically have it correct, Clive?

Many thanks to all the terrorists who have once again impinged on our freedoms by giving our governments one more reason to make more regulations which affect our hobby...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 30-08-06, 23:12
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
I think you'll find the UK is adhering to an EU spec,
Don't get me started McSpool. . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Still, you can clobber someone to death with a gun fully welded shut....
Shussssssssss. They'll ban fly-swatters next, we have already lost tin/lead solder, Babbit metal and chromate acid etch primer (although I have plenty and a steady supply at present), next year its water based paint only. . . . . . . . .

Quote:
...or should I not have mentioned this? Did I give someone a reason to fully ban any sort of demilled guns?
yes and yes.

We have been steadily disarmed for a reason, you will have to guess. . . . . . . . . . . .

Incidentally, the Home Service (or Radio 4 to you youngsters) reports today that the USA sees the UK as the greatest terrorist threat, simply we have a large pool of malleable people of a certain persuasion earning good money and holding British passports.

We can't ask how this came to be as the last person that did was hauled up to court, hmmmmmmm.

Hey, just a minute, you HAVE got me started, you bugger.

R.
Old 31-08-06, 00:41
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton
Incidentally, the Home Service (or Radio 4 to you youngsters) reports today that the USA sees the UK as the greatest terrorist threat,
R.
But that can't be. The FBI claim that Canada is 'a hub for terrorists' and 'a haven'. I hope we don't get into a fight over who is more responsiblle for terrorists entering the US. It must be either Canada or the US (two of the USA's greatest allies) - obviously it can't be the US Immigration and Naturalisation Service or US Customs.