MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-10-11, 10:58

Default identify the odd bracket- C60L Aust

On the weekend I had a look at some vehicles in a collection and came across this bracket that as me puzzled, I have seen it in a couple of trucks over the last 15 years.
The bracket is located next to the fire extinguisher bracket inside a Chev C60L with drop side tray. Truck was made in April 1945. No bren mount fitted to the cab. Cab had canvas door frames and a drivers sun visor. Melbourne assembled truck.

any idea....anyone....

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Oct 02 309.JPG  
Old 09-10-11, 23:15

Keefy and I have been discussing it.

It is difficult to see the size of the bracket in your image, but it may be to clip & hold a 'Kit, First Aid, MT, (Aust): the small, tin-plate box with the hinged lid, often painted in a very strange light green colour with the nomenclature on the top in black, and a red cross. The position in the cab of a Blitz where it is available for the crew of two to use, and is easy to access, also suggests that's what it might be for.

It's not the same kit as the larger black painted steel box that sits in the holder attached to the inside of a door on the Aust Gun tractor: that kit is much larger, being for several people.

Mike C
Old 09-10-11, 23:35

Default Different Location for the Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Hi

What I found interesting is that this is the third location for the fire extinguisher bracket I've seen on a Pattern 13 Chev. Both my Pat 13s the '42 C60S and the '45 HUP have a set of holes on top of the dog house for the extinguisher bracket. Both my C60S and '41 Pattern 12 C60L have a matching set of extinguisher bracket mounting holes on the back wall of the Cab lined up with the transfer case lever. With the Pat 13 if you mount an extinguisher bracket and extinguisher their you are hitting your knuckles on every time you shift the lever back up to high range.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com