MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 13-08-09, 13:36
Lionel G. Evans

Default A good day

Hello Maple Leaf up restorers,

I looked at my truck in a different light today and in the late afternoon sun I could actually clearly identify 4 out of possible 5 numbers which someone had sanded off on the bonnet. Coming out from lots of surface rust and the odd bit of layers and layers of paint were the numbers 7725 and a rounded bit which could be either the bottom of a 3 or a 9.

When I made a return visit to where I bought my truck from a couple of days ago I asked the owner Russell if he knew the contact details of the truck's previous owner. As luck would have it the guy's brother had come to the yard a couple of weeks ago and left his contact details. So tonight I telephoned him and had a good yarn. I found out about the truck's history and some good information about the truck. The former owner Wayne had the truck as a water tanker on his farm for 15 years. Prior to him owning the truck his father-in-law N. L. Bryant owned it for decades. With this time frame it is not too big a stretch to think that Mr Bryant might have been the first post Army owners of the truck.

My truck was sold to the yard when Wayne retired and they had a clearance sale before the farm was sold as well. The funny thing is the farm is one which I have probably driven past a lot during my trips throughout Queensland. Also Wayne now lives only two towns away from where I live and he remembers the truck well. Unfortunately there were no photographs taken of the truck in its working life.

The good bit of information is that when I bought the truck I was told by Russell, the yard owner that the engine had seized. Wayne told me on the phone that this was not right. The engine was working fine when he drove it. What had happened was something else had seized but definitely NOT the engine. You guys might recall that I asked on a different MLU thread how to free up a locked wheel. Well that very much locked wheel, which I managed to free up, was the thing that suddenly seized up on Wayne 20 years ago. This means that the engine could be okay and only needs some tweaking to get started again. Especially since the wheel was so locked that it refused to rotate even with the tilt-tray of the truck it hitch-hiked home was nearly fully. I currently have a spare 216 and a 235 engine sitting on a pallet in my shed. I am now very reluctant to do an engine swap as the truck is definitely ex-Army and I would like to make it an original as possible restoration. Maybe I just have to buy another truck to stick the 235 into! I am sure my wife would not mind at all .....

When I was at Russell’s yard I found a 1940 Chevrolet truck which still had a key in the ignition and part of the hood ornament still bolted to the frame. The hood ornament on my truck had broken off and the bit below the spear was mashed up. As luck would have it the remnant left on the truck in Russell's yard was exactly the bit that was totalled on my truck. A friend of mine who is a boilermaker is going to work his magic and then I will see if I can get the re-fabricated hood ornament re-chromed and put it back on my truck.

Everything else truck related about today was really great – all this without picking up a tool, losing some blood, or getting covered in decades old crap! I think my truck likes me - fingers crossed

Kind Regards
Lionel

Last edited by Lionelgee; 13-08-09 at 13:48.
Old 13-08-09, 15:00

Default Good day

Lionel I dont know you but since your working on trucks and your on this forum I think its safe to assume you must be a good bloke.

Enjoyed reading your thread. Ive just fired up the rebuilt side valve V8 for the first time in a F60L Cab 12 so I can appreciate what youre saying about a good day. I was whooping & hollering so much my dog (clevo) started barking like crazy. I'm sure he was appreciating the moment as much as I was!!!
Old 13-08-09, 23:52
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Whoopin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Ive just fired up the rebuilt side valve V8 for the first time in a F60L Cab 12 so I can appreciate what youre saying about a good day. I was whooping & hollering so much my dog (clevo) started barking like crazy. I'm sure he was appreciating the moment as much as I was!!!
Did you do your victory dance as well? In any case congratulations! What a big moment that is.
The pic you sent me looked like the carby and other critical parts (like plug leads) were missing, so perhaps it was some sort of divine intervention?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-08-09, 00:03

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Hello Maple Leaf up restorers,
I am now very reluctant to do an engine swap as the truck is definitely ex-Army and I would like to make it an original as possible restoration. Maybe I just have to buy another truck to stick the 235 into! I am sure my wife would not mind at all .....

Everything else truck related about today was really great – all this without picking up a tool, losing some blood, or getting covered in decades old crap! I think my truck likes me - fingers crossed

Kind Regards
Lionel
Good to see another person has now been overcome by R.A.T.s syndrome

R.A.T.s = Rusty Army Truck syndrome

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 14-08-09, 23:20

Default Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Did you do your victory dance as well? In any case congratulations! What a big moment that is.
The pic you sent me looked like the carby and other critical parts (like plug leads) were missing, so perhaps it was some sort of divine intervention?
Victory dance will come when I can drive it (that will be when it has brakes!!!)

I was extremely pleased at the sensational note a side valve V8 has with no exhaust.

More pictures soon
Old 21-08-09, 14:47
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Victory dance will come when I can drive it (that will be when it has brakes!!!)

I was extremely pleased at the sensational note a side valve V8 has with no exhaust.

More pictures soon
G'day Tony,

It's been a while since your last post so Have you got to drive your truck yet? What part of the woods is Ganmain in?

I am new to this Army truck scene so could you let me know what make of truck is it, tonage and age?

V8 motors do have that special rumble and vibration through the gound don't they! I went from a V8 car to a V6 and it just does not seem the same as my old V8

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 21-08-09, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
I am new to this Army truck scene so could you let me know what make of truck is it, tonage and age?
Hi Lionel

Tony has written the model name in his signature:

Quote:
F60L GS Ex 2 pounder anti tank portee.
More Infos on wikipedia and on Keefy's site.

greetings
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 22-08-09, 05:30
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemsi View Post
Hi Lionel

Tony has written the model name in his signature:

More Infos on wikipedia and on Keefy's site.

greetings
Chris
Hello Chris,

Thanks for including the website to the pictures of the truck.

Regards
Lionel
Old 28-08-09, 11:58

Default Apologies Lionel

G'day Lionel,

Sorry to have been so slow to reply. Ive also had trouble getting on due to the MLU's server having some issue's but I'm back.

Ganmain is 40mins nor nor west of Wagga Wagga, there's myself & a good mate of mine Howard who is also an MLU'er who live here. Howards also the bloke responsible for getting me into this stuff. Keith Webb also aided & abetted (Mind you, I didnt need my my arm severely twisted..)

My truck is a 1942 Cab 12 Ford 60 Hundredweight Long wheelbase or F60L.

According to the ARN 7753 the truck was originally a 2pounder anti tank portee. (If you google this you'll see a picture of one) They look awesome!

Sadly, I dont have that back for it as it was converted to general service (transport) and had a GS back put on it in 1944 . It also had an engine change during the war.

The army must have realised that anyone in this, going up against any enemy tank would have been turned to chutney.

Engine is a Mercury 239 cubic inch side valve V8 with crab distributer.

Check out the website that Howard has created called shedfullofshit.com & let us know what you think.

Look forward to photo's of your truck and update's on progress.

Old 28-08-09, 12:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Portee

Kind of like this...

Quote:
G'day Lionel,

Sorry to have been so slow to reply. Ive also had trouble getting on due to the MLU's server having some issue's but I'm back.

Ganmain is 40mins nor nor west of Wagga Wagga, there's myself & a good mate of mine Howard who is also an MLU'er who live here. Howards also the bloke responsible for getting me into this stuff. Keith Webb also aided & abetted (Mind you, I didnt need my my arm severely twisted..)

My truck is a 1942 Cab 12 Ford 60 Hundredweight Long wheelbase or F60L.

According to the ARN 7753 the truck was originally a 2pounder anti tank portee. (If you google this you'll see a picture of one) They look awesome!

Sadly, I dont have that back for it as it was converted to general service (transport) and had a GS back put on it in 1944 . It also had an engine change during the war.

The army must have realised that anyone in this, going up against any enemy tank would have been turned to chutney.

Engine is a Mercury 239 cubic inch side valve V8 with crab distributer.

Check out the website that Howard has created called shedfullofshit.com & let us know what you think.

Look forward to photo's of your truck and update's on progress.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 28-08-09, 12:44

Default Awww MAN!!!

I'll just have to pretend I didnt see that......
Old 28-08-09, 12:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default What, this?

Quote:
I'll just have to pretend I didnt see that......

or this

or this?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 28-08-09, 13:17

Default Righto!

Righto!!!