MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 06-06-05, 17:02

Default Soviet ASU-57

Hi

As part of the CFB Petawawa Centennial, I have been charged to paint up some of the Armour at the base museum. The one that is causing me grief is the ASU-57. Can someone direct me to or provide me with a detailed drawing or description of a valid soviet-era paint scheme for this vehicle?

Thanx

regards
D
Old 08-06-05, 04:29
Dave Demorrow

DARK SOVIET GREEN WITH THE AIRBORNE STENCEL ON THE FRONT AND BOTH SIDES, NOW THATS A VEHICLE I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE
DAVE
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 08-06-05, 20:32

Thanx Dave

She's not a runner by any stretch but she'll at least look nice for July 1st.

Searching the www but using the cyrillic spelling produced a good number of usable pics the confirm what you've said above. In addition there was sometimes a 2 or 3 digit # in white behind the side AB symbols. Pretty plain layout, thank god.

regards
D
Old 08-06-05, 20:56
Dave Demorrow

i spent 18 years in army intel, most of the time the only markings were the 2aircraft and parachute stencel on the lower front and the sides. that way the crew could get another vehicle from pre prositioned stocks. other than that it may be a 3 didget code X-X-X (GUN NUMBER, PLATOON, AND COMPANY) SUCH AS 232 = 2ND GUN, 3RD PLATOON, 2ND COMPANY.

the wheel well highlights (white pinstriping) came out in the mid-late 80s so they would be too late for the ASU-57. by that time the BMD-2s and the 2S? (upgunned BMD) were allready in service.

thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 09-06-05, 03:56
Real Deal Paintball

I emailed Barry Beldam regarding this and he had some pretty interesting news. It arrived in Shilo after the 1967 war and was painted in a light sand colour with Egyptian airborne markings. He's pretty familiar with it as he drove it during an inspection by the Generals. At that time the only problem with it was that the reserved gear was stripped.

Now my question to you is this: When would a good time be for a bunch of armour modelling geeks to visit this collection you have?

Cheers!

Dana
Old 09-06-05, 04:13
Dave Demorrow

ow be still my beating heart, my collection is but a tiny speck among much larger collectors. true it is more than some but it is hardly worth a tank of fuel to come and see. give me another year then we may be able to talk. if people would get off there rear and see that i am offering quality living history gear at my online store then i could fund the project im working on. keep it a secret but within 3-5 years the central texas area will be home to the european wars collection. with uniforms, weapons, a WWI trench line, and a NATO exibit. but thats only if my current endever gets a little more steam.

but thanks, and any time you want come on down. i intend to have both the arnherm jeep and M-3A1 acout car done in the next 2 months. then the 2 carriers and the 1/2 track will be my next projects. still looking for a CCKW, a CMP 15 or 30 CWT truck, and the trailers for them. i think in a year i could have a reinforced company from the guards armored div up and ready to go.

thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 09-06-05, 04:24
Real Deal Paintball

HA! That was meant for Darryl in Petawawa!

On the other hand I used to live in Dallas and have to go back down with several cases of Beer for all the Canucks who still live there, so who knows.

Cheers!

Dana
Old 09-06-05, 16:56

Hi Dana

I suspected that was for me!!

I wonder if Barry has a scheme for it's Egyptian look.
I was just talking to him yesterday about markings on our post war Shermans!! I'll have to email him again and pick his brain. I wonder what the Museum will want in light of this new info from you. Thanks very much for your help.

You and as many as you like can come whenever you want to look around. My "collection" is not much and the ASU etc actually belong to the Museum. We (the RCD) have two Lynxes C&RV, two Ferrets Mk 1's, a Centurion Mk 5 and A Leo C1 on otdoor display in our lines. By end August we'll have the Bren Carrier out there too and of course Radley Walter's "Gift" Sherman is still here. Our Sherman is going out to the Highway today and just needs some touch-ups. All the other vehicles are at the Museum outdoor display area.

I'd be happy to act as a guide but make it soon as I'm posted to Moncton 3rd week in Aug. My summer leave is mid-Jul to Mid-Aug and would be the best time to come as the Canada Day celebs and Openings will be dne by then. Be advised the RCHA has re-done their display guns (105mm C1(M101), Pak38, Pak 40, FH 18, and Flak 36) up in some nice new schemes. Also most if not all of the CMP's and other Ech vehs have been cleaned up as well.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 09-06-05 at 18:10.