MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:18
Chris Preston

Default Daimler Ferret - seized wheels........

'Afternoon All,

Our Ferret at the Ashton Armoury Museum, in Victoria, BC (https://www.facebook.com/ashtonarmourymuseum/), is currently down with both wheels on the right side seized-up! The right rear wheel seized up while on the road, with a grinding noise followed by a sudden, lurching stop and veering to the right while stopping. Earlier this year, and on the advice of a more knowledgeable person person that myself, I was told that it could be driven in "three-wheel" drive if the right rear wheel outer hub was removed (which it was, and allowing the right rear wheel to free-wheel), and the prop-shaft to the right-rear wheel disconnected and removed - which was also done.

The vehicle moved around the compound easily enough and on being returned back inside, the right front wheel seized-up as well! After removing the front outer hub, that wheel also free-wheeled, allowing us to get back inside (under tow).

Prior to both wheels seizing up, we had noticed that the hubs were warm or hot to the touch. Now we're finally ready to start exploratory work to see what exactly has failed, beginning with the right front wheel. My inexperienced gut feeling is that the failure is located in the bevel box inside the vehicle, which will mean removing the engine for access to the right rear wheel bevel box!

Has anyone on this board had experience in repairing/rebuilding Ferret wheel stations with this sort of problem?
Pictures of our Ferret in better days.

Cheers,

Chris Preston
Victoria, BC
Old Yesterday, 11:26

Default ferret wheel hub

to make the wheel free wheel did you just take out the sun wheel and close it up?