MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 27-05-16, 22:01

Default T16 . it all started so well!

After not using or starting the T16 for over 18 months, today was the day I woke the old girl from her slumber. I must say that she started on the button and sounded superb. So confident was I that I decided to take her for a gentle work out around the field. Unfortunately, the first 3rd gear relatively sharp corner, there was a massive clanging and knocking and I knew I was in for trouble On jumping out of the drivers compartment I spotted the trouble. Not something I had experienced before, but surprised none the less. The rear near side bogie had slid off the axle tube, throwing the track and only stopped from completely dropping off the axle by the mudguards. I was lucky to find the clamping ring and washers, but amazed that, on reflection, the only item stopping the lateral movement of the bogie is a clamp with a small indentation and bolt. It would appear that the clamp had not been tightened since the rebuild and had worked loose enough to allow the near catastrophe. It still took me about 2 hours on my own in the field with soft ground to break the track and get everything back in order. Has anyone else suffered this fate? photos to follow.
Old 27-05-16, 22:42

Old 28-05-16, 00:07
Bluebell

Looks like no damage. That's gotta be good.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 28-05-16, 00:38

Default Reminds me of......

...a military show in NY state when some one had people lined up for rides in a T16..... went on for about 2 hours then he broke a track and the rain starteds..... all of a sudden no one was around to help the poor guy.....

Cheers
Canada
Old 28-05-16, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Looks like no damage. That's gotta be good.
just the rear of the side guards, but I was pleased they were there or the whole bogies would have slid off the axle. Still thinking its not much of a restraint to hold the whole thing on the axle. I reckon that the pinch bolts need to be changed to a high tensile material , as they are 70 years old, and don't feel like they want to take much torque. In practice I think its the clamping of the retaining ring that keep it all together, not the bolt in the groove. Anyway, it gave me a good workout. About 2 hours work, but taking my time and being her careful as I was on soft ground. I guess 3 men with knowledge could have done it in about 15/20 mins