MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-10-04, 00:11
RIP

Default Tim Horton's Rememberance Day Quarter

Today,I swallowed my pride,& went over to the local Tim Horton's Coffee shop to get a coffee latte on my daughters' mountain bike just so I could get the new 25 cent piece featuring the red poppy.Under the poppy it reads "Remember".Nice touch.You can't spend it as I heard on the news today that the red on the poppy fades & wears off.Figured I'd do this for our vets.My biggest problem was trying to park the bike,squezing between the Yuppy generation SUV's taking up spaces in the parking lot.

Sooo,get out there today or tomorrow,ride over to your local Tim Horton's,buy a coffee,get your Veteran's Quarter,and,oh yes,scratch the door of a SUV with your handle bars,as you depart.PLEASE,do your part to p-ss off a yuppy
Old 23-10-04, 00:49
Film maker, CMP addict

Default well said, Gary

Why don't you people drive over in your C8A SUVs.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-10-04, 01:30
RIP

Default G'Day Mate!!

Got any shrimp on the barbie??Actually,Keefie,we don't have any C8A's.When they became obsolecent & we got brand new CMP's,we gave them to you ANZAC's,so you could go fight the Africa Corp.There'd be nothing more embarressing than havimg you blokes chasing Panzer's out on the desert while riding camels.As an aside,and knowing you're into aircraft,a week ago Friday I was priveliged to see a JSF F-22 Raptor landing at the airport,here near the Pratt & Whitney Engine factory,who make the engines,It looks like an F-18,with the twin tail booms,but is more streamlined.What a sight/noise as it came in to land
Old 23-10-04, 03:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Just bought some

Well there are some shrimps in the marinara mix I bought at the Preston Market this morning.
The Raptor sounds like fun to see - it's so different seeing things like that close up. When I was filming the Temora Warbirds I was at the end of the runway with aircraft like the Spitfire, Vampire, Meteor and Canberra roaring over my head at less than 30 feet. The shots are spectacular to say the least. Later on I just set the camera on the tripod and let it roll as some aircraft like the A37Bs were coming in with about 6 feet clearance over the fence which made a wheelstrike a distinct possibility.
I'll report tomorrow after the flight in the Harvard.
Incidentally the C8A I was referring to was the HUP series... the SUV of CMPs, along with our No.8 and 9 Field Artillery Tractors, the CMP SUVs with all the fruit. Only problem with the nomenclature is the "Sport" part of SUV!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 23-10-04, 04:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Timmy's

Hate the place m'self, but weakened and went into my local one today - no damned quarters...

My stepdaughter did get one yesterday, but if anyone here can get me a roll of the things, I will be pleased to pay for such and all mail/packing costs of course!
Old 23-10-04, 06:13
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Timmy's

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Hate the place m'self, but weakened and went into my local one today - no damned quarters...

My stepdaughter did get one yesterday, but if anyone here can get me a roll of the things, I will be pleased to pay for such and all mail/packing costs of course!
As I was recently advised, these commorative quarters are available only at Timmys and at your local Royal Canadian Legion.

Problem is...Timmys corporate funding can support the minimum $500.00 initial purchase...some smaller local Legions cannot.
Old 23-10-04, 06:19
RIP

Default A roll of the things !!

A ROLL OF THE THINGS !!
Binnington Wall,do you know how many coffee's would have to be bought??I'd be so cafeened out,I'd probably wake up on the roof of an SUV.(For you Keefie,not a HUP)
Old 23-10-04, 06:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: A roll of the things !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
A ROLL OF THE THINGS !!
Binnington Wall,do you know how many coffee's would have to be bought??I'd be so cafeened out,I'd probably wake up on the roof of an SUV.(For you Keefie,not a HUP)
Buy my coffees and I can easily chug em back and get yore roll,
caffiene addict that I be! Thats a days worth coffees for bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 20-11-04, 17:31

I have seven of the things here, and yes, some of them have the poppy faded from use. The good news is, I have been notified that my order for three rolls of them has now been shipped by the mint, so I will have enough to spread around to those interested...

Email or PM me and I'll ensure I reserve one or more for you. Our foreign friends in particular, who will not have access to them under normal circumstances.
Old 20-11-04, 20:33
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The first one

Image source

Just spotted this article:

"WINNIPEG (CP) - Second World War veteran Joe Fraser proudly accepted Canada's first coloured coin Thursday in a moving ceremony to unveil new 25-cent poppy quarters.

But Fraser, an army veteran from Gladstone, Man., who fought in Germany and Holland in 1945, didn't hold onto the quarter for long. He immediately handed it off to a young reservist, Cpl. Scott Hollywood of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, as a symbol of the need to keep remembering Canada's war dead in future generations.

"I hope the coin will keep the poppy in front of the people and will help people to remember," Fraser said following the ceremony that included the playing of the Last Post and a video montage of war footage.

"It just depends on how people use it, what they think of it. Will they remember?"

The Royal Canadian Mint will make 30 million of the special coins, which feature a red poppy in the centre of a Maple Leaf and the words: Remember Souvenir.

The project, in the works for almost a year, was done in collaboration with the Royal Canadian Legion, said mint president David Dingwall.

Tim Hortons started distributing the coins Thursday at all its Canadian locations. The quarters are believed to be the world's first coloured coins in circulation.

It's hoped the release of the coin will help the legion's annual poppy campaign set this year for Nov. 1-10.

Dingwall said the coin was perfected using a high-speed colouring process that should keep the quarter red for up to three years "with normal wear and tear."

But he acknowledged there have already been reports that the colour rubs off easily in some cases, leaving only the engraved outline of the flower.

Defects are normal given the number of coins that will be made, Dingwall suggested.

"If you rub hard enough and long enough the red colour will fade. But the poppy is underneath and we believe that is the enduring quality of our new 25-cent piece and I think the legion would attest to that."

Mary Ann Burdett, the legion's Dominion president, said the poppy has come to symbolize much-needed support and services for veterans and their families.

She added veterans are excited about the role the new coin will play in the group's educational and fundraising programs.

"The red poppy coin opens a new avenue of remembrance that will be part of everyday life for Canadians, a peaceful, free and blessed life that has been purchased at a very high price," said Burdett.

"It is a debt we can never repay and that we must never forget."

Source

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 21-11-04, 05:38
In Vino Veritas

Default Poppy paint

My Mom went to the Winnipeg mint and bought me a roll of quarters. While there she chatted with the mint employees and they recommended preheating an oven to 350 degrees and baking the poppy quarters on a clean cookie sheet for ten minutes . This sets the paint apparently and makes it much more durable. Now all this said, I am going to try in on one (1) quarter before risking the lot.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 29-11-04, 17:45

Default Available now

I now have three rolls of the things fresh from the Mint. If anyone wants some, PM or email me, be happy to post them off.
Old 29-11-04, 23:52

Default What a truly neat idea!

Although I am sorry that Jif can't stand Tim Horton's (I keep hoping they will move south along with the Canada geese as I don't like Dunkin' or Krispy), I really like that poppy quarter idea.
Much more innovative than our fifty-state quarters.

By the way, in response to a previous query on this page, MLU's Jon Skagveld (hope I spelled that right, Jon) was kind enough to send me two "real" Legion poppies for my European history prop box.

Here's a question for you. Did Canadian Salvation Army doughnut dollies serve Tim Horton's doughnuts? There's an advertizing gimmick for you . . . .

Bob