MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 17-02-15, 02:27

Default WW2 Military Office Equipment

Thought it might be interesting to find out exactly what kind of this equipment is known to be out there. It may even turn out some of this equipment would have been used, not just at Regimental or Army HQ levels but in a number of Command and Signals vehicles in the field.

What got me thinking about it is the subject of the two attached photos. My Dad enlisted in Winnipeg with the QOCH of C in 1939 as a Rifleman and went to England with the HQ Company Advance Party. Shortly after arrival in England, one of the clerks at Regimental HQ was returned to Canada with a ruptured appendix and because Dad had been known to have been taking accounting courses at school prior to enlistment, he was 'volunteered' to replace this missing clerk. Finished the war as a Staff Sgt.

The attached was his office stapler, which be brought home after the war. With the exception of the staple remover, it is all original. The original remover was a matt black finish and it broke many years ago. I was lucky enough to find an identical commercial replacement in nickel finish. It is a Model B8 Bostitch Stapler, with a black bakelite base, and still works.

I know Remington and Underwood made typewriters for the military, typically in all black finish, but I have no idea what models they might have been. Not at all sure what else in the way of office equipment may have been adapted to the Army, Navy and Air Forces during the war. So, at the risk of creating a whole new sub collection of military equipment to start looking out for at swap meets and flea markets, what else is known to be out there?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Bostitch WW2 Military Stapler A.JPG   Bostitch WW2 Military Stapler B.JPG  
Old 17-02-15, 18:08

Default I for one....

would like to see a pic of said Canadian army typewriter and Model #...I think this thread could take off David. Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 19-02-15, 01:39

I am curious as well, Rob.

Did a bit of a poke on the net and most info seems focused on US Military data. It seems that when America entered the war, the government halted all typewriter production at Underwood and Remington. These two companies were redirected to alternate equipment production. Royal typewriter, I have no idea. Corona was allowed to continue production at least through 1942, however all of this went to military orders. The US Military was in such great need of typewriters they requisitioned everything they could get out of the civilian market. In fact, one could not own a typewriter during the war in the USA without applying for a permit to do so.

That aside, it seems Corona made very good portables and these were used at the front end of the military extensively. All were issued with cases. Have no idea what the models were. The large desk typewriters, many of which were in the 20 to 30 pound range (cast iron frames etc) were used in the rear at various HQ levels. Again, no idea what models.

To add to the mystery, I have no clue what took place in Canada, or other Commonwealth countries regarding typewriters, but given the military of the day, lived on paperwork as much as anything, it would not surprise me if typewriters were highly valued everywhere. We just need to tap into the actual makes and models and start seeing some confirming photos.

David
Old 23-02-15, 12:46
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi Dave,

If I can easily find it, I'll dig out the equipment list for my Australian pattern Office Body F15a- a general service style body with a giant canvas back (let alone the circus tent on the 60L body!). It has a rear tray cover with an awning on each side and out the back too, all in all quite a masterpiece of canvas!

Anyway, will see what I can find to share with whatim was fitted with as it is an interesting avenue and area of collecting you raise!

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 24-02-15, 05:01
Terry Warner

Default field offices

I have been reading the declassified War Diaries of the 27 Canadian Armoured Regiment (The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment). As a trained military admin' clerk, it pains me to see the clumsy type strikes and errors that were passed. Exigencies of the war I guess. The type face is a standard 12 point Elite, and from the upper/lower displacement, it would have been a fairly small roller mechanical typewriter. No corrections except for overstrikes and pen annotations. If RHQ had a single HUP and another 15CWT for the CO's offices, and a pair of half-tracks for F-Ech admin, I would guess they had at least one typewriter per regiment or battalion CP.

From my point of view, the basic equipment was a Field Message Pad and a pencil. The next step up would have been note paper or minute sheet sized messaged pads, such as radio logs or the war diaries. Full length paper was not widely issued from what I have seen. Even medals' submissions were on small index card sized forms, with the man's particulars across the top, space on the left for the citation, and space on the right of a vertical line for signature blocks. Even these were often simply and hunt-and-peck typed.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!