MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-04-03, 02:35

Default FAT 4 Information

We have just received our FAT 4 back from Shilo and are in need of some basic information. I have it almost ready to try and fire up but would like to confirm the voltage,6 or 12v? and if there is anything I need to do before attempting to start it? It was manufactured in 1944 at the Chevy plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29-04-03, 03:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Manuals...

Wayne..
Start with reading the maintenance and drivers manuals..Make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank(S),even if you have to drain the old gas out.. and roll it over by hand a few times befoe ignition attempt...Go through the basic starting proceedures in the manuals..the engine was designed for leaded fuel you may have to add a lead additive,others will advise on that..Clean oil for sure..
Good luck..
Old 29-04-03, 03:41

Thanks Alex

Problem 1 is that we have no manual's for the truck. I guess this is the biggest and only real problem. We do have lead additive for all our veh so that's not a problem. I guess a diagram of the fuel system would help so we can ensure the lines are flushed. Again, Thank you.
Old 29-04-03, 04:02

Default Shilo Fat 4

Hello Wayne. Can you enlighten some of us on your aquisition of this Shilo Fat, and was it originally part of the Gregg collection? How did you do the deal? Museums don't give up anything once cataloged, which is a shame, the dust bowl in Shilo is full of restorable CMP's that " Canadian" private restorers would do a much better job than the museum in keeping their history alive! These wrecks should be kept in Canada, and restored by Canadians! Venting Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 29-04-03, 06:08

Hi Rob

Here it is in a nut shell! I am a member of the Strathcona's who works on our unit's collection. We had a veh that belonged to the Gregg collection and when we returned it to the museum we got our FAT 4 back. It is in excellent condition and we have no manuals for it. The FAT was not part of the Gregg collection and that is why we got it back. if I can answer any other questions for you just holler.

Wayne
Old 29-04-03, 12:01

Default Manuals

Wayne
I can provide the appropriate manuals ..The MB-C2(Assuming it is GM) and the parts manual for the FAT ...Is it a GM Or Ford..I have both...
Contact me off line..
Attempting to start it without the manuals could be catostrophic..
Alex
Old 30-04-03, 02:11

Default Yet Again, more info needed

Now that I have the FAT running (nothing like that motor starting the first time) I would like to start equiping it with all the proper kit. Any information to help keep this veh. authentic would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

The FAT we have is a Chevy, if the numbers from it will help for manuals here they are; Model-C-60441-M-FAT-4
Chasis- 3844032608
Engine- WR3947712
Thanks again Alex
you can email me direct at work with any info if you wish or to my home email.

work - Riopel.WD@forces.gc.ca
Old 30-04-03, 11:51

Default e-mail...

Wayne
I tryed to e-mail you but the stuff keeps bouncing back...Check and see if the gummint has paid the servive provider for their services...or has the Military been stiffed by the money men in Ottawa...again...
Contact me ,this time at
ablairca@yahoo.com

Alex
Old 01-05-03, 20:21
zipperhead

Default FAT origins

The FAT in question originally came from the Brian Woods collection in BC. It was acquired from him for a tax receipt.

The vehicle arrived in Calgary in excellent condition and only a small amount of work was required to get it running. It was also used as a pattern by the late Jack Guthrie for canvas parts for his FAT (now at Vimy house).

The whole reason for aquisition was to trade it to Shilo for the Stuart or Grizzly of the Gregg collection. The Strathconas being an armoured unit were restoring tanks while the Arty wanted guns and gun related equipment for their museum.

I am somewhat surprised that Shilo wanted the Stuart back as for them, the FAT was more significant (and it is the best FAT example in Canada).

I hope that Shilo looks after the restored Stuart better than last time they had it. When I originally traded for it, that Stuart was in terrible shape. It barely made it to the trailer.
Old 02-05-03, 01:11

Talking FAT Pics

Here is a photo of the FAT in question.
Attached Thumbnails
fat4.jpg  
Old 02-05-03, 02:06

Default Thanks Jim And Wayne...

for the history and details. Good to know. If you don't mind Wayne, " There is no Canadian education better for the Canadian future than remembering the Canadian past." Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 02-05-03, 11:06
MLU Administrator

Default Re: FAT origins

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Rice
The FAT in question originally came from the Brian Woods collection in BC. It was acquired from him for a tax receipt.
I believe this FAT orginally came from a Dutch collector.

Dirk, didn't Jan Eshuys sell a FAT to Brian Wood?
Old 02-05-03, 16:14
zipperhead

Default Careful use of the word "origin"

Yes, I think it came from Holland. The filler necks for the fuel tanks were stuffed with plastic bags from a dutch candy shop when we got it, if I remember correctly!

It had only one "non-original" modification that I saw, a trailer light connection on the rear panel. Is this a requirement for road operation in Holland?
Old 03-05-03, 03:53
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default stuart

As far as I'm concerned, the stuart's proper home is at CFB Shilo along with the rest of Gregg's collection. I was out last year and asked during my tour there where the stuart was and to my dismay I learned of it's "trade" to the Strathcona's museum. While it's nice to see any arty museum with a gun tractor, Shilo has more in it's collection already. As a personal note, my fascination with all this green junk began as a young boy who sometimes was fortunate enough to visit a special uncle. My uncle Ken was an employee who worked at Stu Robertson's business where the stuart was rebuilt. As a youngster, this was awesome to see, as my uncle was pretty much the head restorer for Stu and was able to show me. Another note is that this same stuart was used in the filming of Stephen King's The Dead Zone (circa 1983?) Ken and Stu were hired to operate the tank for the movie company. Unfortunately, the clip is only about 30 seconds out of 3 days of round the clock shooting. Anyhow, now I can blame my dear uncle for helping me spend my hard earned bucks on green stuff.
Old 14-05-03, 19:50

Default canvas parts

Anyone knowing if there are someone having the measurements for the canvas parts?
Need all on the body, but the top canvas is most needed at the time.

Rolf

BTW a very nice vehicle!! Hope oures will be just as nice....
Old 02-12-04, 14:33
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Careful use of the word "origin"

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Rice
It had only one "non-original" modification that I saw, a trailer light connection on the rear panel. Is this a requirement for road operation in Holland?
Yes, if you want to tow a trailer in Holland it should be set up with a full set of lights. Is this not the case in Canada?

As for the use of "origin": o.k. so it was manufactured in Canada, but it had to come to Holland to be restored as "the best FAT example in Canada". BTW, the same is happening to your Lynxes and Foxes, too

H.
Old 02-12-04, 20:34
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Original

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Yes, if you want to tow a trailer in Holland it should be set up with a full set of lights. Is this not the case in Canada?

As for the use of "origin": o.k. so it was manufactured in Canada, but it had to come to Holland to be restored as "the best FAT example in Canada". BTW, the same is happening to your Lynxes and Foxes, too

H.
Just noticed the side lights aren't original either - but a simple thing to remedy. Did this one see French military service post-war perhaps?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern