MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 26-05-24, 18:09

Default C30 cwt

This is a truck that I known about and thought it should be restored but it took a while to shake it free. It was a cab and chassis with the VIN plate below. From looking through the vehicle inventory Peter Ford produced VIN 284411725 was a LAAT and the below VIN is 2844111733 and the frame has a winch, I think this is also a LAAT chassis. The general condition of the vehicle was very poor, the frame had rust through and had been used in the Southern Ontario oil fields. Since MLU has become VERY quiet I thought I would join Jordan with a few posts.

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0346.jpeg   30 cwt - 1.jpeg   30 cwt - 2.jpeg   30 cwt VIN - 1.jpeg  
Old 26-05-24, 23:34

That looks like a good find Gord. The model 84-41 shown on the data plate is correct for a C30 (over the years I've seen quite a few data plates that looked like they might have been transferred from one vihicle to another so I'm always suspicious) and the data plate is in the style I've come to associeate with relatively early production. The serial number seems to be 1942 model year, civilian pattern instrument cluster all seem to fit together.
I am not so sure about assuming that near serial numbers would be of the same type completed vehicle as I'm not sure whether they waited to make bunhces of LLAT, Derrick, Engineer as groups. There have been photos shown of production lines with CMP and MCP mixed together that suggests grouping didn't happen all the time. Are there other features that might indicate yes/no for the LAAT variant?
Old 27-05-24, 01:11

Default What is

Grant
With no box present or hint of what was there originally does cast doubt on what its original purpose was. It does have pig tails on the frame and fair lead on the front bumper. That and only eight numbers from a known LAAT is what makes me think that way. One more 80 year old mystery to ponder.

Gordon
Old 27-05-24, 23:17

Lovely truck, Gordon.

Quote:
It does have pig tails on the frame and fair lead on the front bumper.
Is there any sign of a canvas speaking tube ever being installed in the rear cab wall, in stead of the more normal rear sliding "window"? That could also point towards a LAAT origin.
Old 02-06-24, 19:48

Default LAAT possibility

Alex

Here are a few pictures of the chassis. A poor one of the cab but shows the rectangular plate bolted into the rear window that has the hold downs for a canvas speaking tube. The front bumper has the fair lead for the cable, there are pig tails for the cable and loup's on the frame for the scotch blocks chains.
Attached Thumbnails
30 cwt canvas tunnel mount - 1 (2).jpeg   30 cwt canvas tunnel mount - 1 (1).jpeg   30 cwt canvas tunnel mount - 2.jpeg