MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old Today, 05:14
carrier mech

Default Box, Spare Parts

I fould this odd shaped box a few weeks ago. On the top is a plate that says Spare Parts. There is the remnants of a label inside, but I could not make most of it out. I suspect it's for the Chorehorse, and possibly from an 8cwt, but I am here to ask the collective knowledge base if they know what this box is.
Attached Thumbnails
Spare Parts Box.jpg   spare parts box2.jpg   spare parts box3.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; Today at 05:22.
Old Today, 11:24
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Not sure ?

The parts description list is difficult to make out but the two parts on top of the list says something like:

1. Fan belt

2. Water inlet elbow gasket.

Does a chorehorse use these parts ?
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old Today, 12:07

I don't think it is for a Chorehorse as I read the first two items on the parts list as being a fan belt and a water inlet elbow gasket. Near the bottom of the parts list photo there seems to be an oil filter cartridge listed, another part I don't think of as Chorehorse...
There is also a listing for magneto ____ lead.

Right or wrong, I think of the Chorehorse and WS19 spare parts boxes as having the contents list inside the lid for protection from weather and impact damage.

This isn't much to go on, but I think whatever it is for had a water cooled engine and a magneto ignition system (unless the vehicle and mounted equipment shared the spare parts box).

To help with the guessing game, is the whole thing one assembly or is it several pieces that you grouped for the photo? If it is all one, I'd guess it was designed to fit in a specific shaped space. Also, the amount of fabrication suggests either early production or limited production - before attitudes changed to "stamp them out by the thousand". Or, is the parts list on the inside of a lid that covers an opening that is smaller than the whole side of the box?

Maybe the above will suggest something useful to let sombody actually identify it for you. I'll need more free time to go into manuals to see if any of the readable part numbers jump out at me.

(on edit - I started writing before seeing Mike's post, ate breakfast and then hit "submit" and saw his comments...)
Old Today, 16:02

Interesting Rob.

I agree with the other assessments that these parts are all 'Liquid Cooled Engine' related and have nothing to do with a Chorehorse.

If it is a one piece box, the shape is odd and very likely a custom fit for something specific. Trailers with liquid cooled engines come to mind:, generator, welding, pneumatic...that kind of stuff.

If you look at the label, I think the name of the equipment is on it.

Centred above the outlined block of Quantity - Part Number - Description you can see 'LIST OF PARTS' underlined. If you look closely, the same distance up as is between these two lines of text, there is another line of text that very likely identifies to what the parts belong.

In this location, directly above the 'n' at the end of 'Description', you will find another string of capital letters.

David
Old Today, 19:17
carrier mech

Better eyes than mine have weighed in.
There was the remains of the lube trailer there. As well as a medium size generator. It's possible it's from one of those. I'll search those avenues.