View Single Post
Old 06-08-15, 03:17

Thanks Guys! That's a huge help.

I was able to find get the following info off-forum from and am getting a better picture of the use of how this should look and how it was used!

1. The Gun Position Loud Speaker is the Tannoy speaker that was used for gun line communications before we started using the Field Artillery Battery Communications System (FABCS) which is just a updated and better protected system from the elements. Once in position, the gun detachment will run WD-1 to the CP from the Tannoy control panel. The CP will have another main panel to hook into so that the gun detachment can call the CP or one of the other guns in the battery. Gun data for a fire mission is given from the CP to individual guns via the Tannoy or handset; or, the CP can talk to the whole battery as required. The small box to the left of the control panel holds the handset. The bracket on top is to hold a reel of WD-1 Sigs wire.

2. The bracket for the WD-1 reel is a DND drawing so we can contract for manufacture as required, we just got a bunch more made up for depot stock. It's very possible 202 Workshop Depot has manufactured these reel brackets in the past. In the pictures, the reel hand crank is missing which is used to reel in the wire when the guns move. The hand crank is part of the WD-1 reel bracket.

3. Attached are a couple pictures of the WD-1 wire reel and the FABCS Gun Unit on the current C3 howitzer to give an idea regarding the use of the equipment. The FABCS has been in service with the RCA since 1988, the old Tannoy was used prior to that.

I am now on the hunt for an early C-42 handset, socket cover, wire reel crank and a what I'm pretty certain is a Lucas button same as the old Land Rover horn buttons for the ack button that is missing.

Rob, do you have a photo of one of yours that shows the handset box lid and the ack button and the speaker protector?

Thanks!

J