Thread: Info needed: 3D printers and laser engravers
View Single Post
Old 20-03-23, 13:20

I do this in both the model and the 1:1 world. We have used 3D modeling and both resin and filament printing as part of our process to make our replica battery cases. Right now the most effective way is someone proficient in CAD draws up the part, I print it, then we use that as a master to cast more in resin.

Both the scanners and the data processing power to create a file are beyond any hobbyist means. A scanner good enough to do the job, not some toy app you can download to your iPhone requires way more data processing then most of us have in our home computers. On the other hand I can send some photos and dimensions to friends who can render in 3D effectively and cost me $50 for say a battery vent cap. Even if the scanner and data processing was within reach, you would still have to be versed in computer rendering to fill in gaps, set up wall thicknesses of various aspects of the part, reinforcements in other places etc etc. The scanner cannot do for you what it cannot see.

Here is an example of applying 3D resin printing technology along with "traditional" urethane resin casting.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3627.jpeg   IMG_3608 2.jpeg   IMG_3607 2.jpeg   IMG_3626.jpeg