View Single Post
Old 10-05-21, 13:57

So, I have a dilema.

We have removed the body from our Q2 and we are still left wondering about what body would have been fitted.

The chassis rails are very short and have a heavy duty fitted wartime towbar arrangement. We have rubbed the chassis down and can confirm it has not been cut down or welded at any position.

Name:  51169568136_ffa7de03ba.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  56.4 KB
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ffa7de03ba.jpg

So, the options.
  1. The GS truck chassis rails should extend at least 1 foot past the rear cross member, ours clearly does not do this. I notice in photos of Tomas truck his do extend much further than ours.
  2. The Pre-heater truck does have the shortened chassis but this would also mean the truck has a PTO which ours definitely does not have.
  3. What about an aircraft towing tug? That would require the hefty towbar and a shortened body as to not cause any obstructions? I have seen photos of both normal control Fordsons and Bedfords being used in this capacity?
  4. Are there any special bodies made in much smaller or one off situations for towing? Most RAF contracts are simply supplied as 'Cab and Chassis' so other bodies could be a possibility?

Any thoughts?