View Single Post
Old 14-02-03, 16:41
canadiansoldiers.com

I was going through Clive's new pamphlet on Canadian armour. I take it this model is the American M4 whereas the M4A4 was what we Canadians called the Sherman V? I know very little about the variants.

The Sherman V had an extended hull for the Chrysler multibank, yes?

That honestly hadn't occurred to me until I ordered - I was looking primarily at the driver and co driver hatches, and satisfied that the direct vision slots were there and that this was not an M4A3.

I think I will probably content myself with a straight from the box look (aside from painting, weathering, and adding some details from pictures of the real CLANKY, such as wire on the hull sides for camouflage, and perhaps the wire spool Mark emailed me - (I forgot to thank you for those pictures, by the way, Mark.))

But maybe you can tell me -

SHERMANS IN CANADIAN SERVICE do mention that the M4 saw Canadian use. I was on Hanno's site yesterday but didn't have time to surf as much as I want. Was the straight M4 used overseas at all, or in any significant numbers?

What other differences besides the extended hull (and I would guess, the rear deck details) did the Sherman V have from the M4? I am guessing the three piece transmission housing stayed the same (the pam says the Sherman V retained this), the turret seems not to have changed, but I don't know about the mantlet - did the M4 in the model, and the Sherman V have the same type of mantlet (M34??)

I will be deleting the .50 AAMG as per previous conversations.