View Single Post
Old 12-06-17, 10:53
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

A few more pictures of progress.

While I had the turret sitting at the right height, I checked the length of the seat towers. In an earlier post I mentioned the fact that there seemed to be two different seat tower lengths to allow for the armoured floor. I have now confirmed that these seat towers will be the right length for the floor I’ve made. There is about 5mm clearance from what I can see. Not a lot of room but it should be fine.

I finalised the front pipe sections of the turret seat framework while I had it fitted in the turret and have since welded the seating framework all together and painted it so it will be ready to bolt in once the turret is ready. I have emailed some suppliers to get prices on the seat bases and backs so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

Would anyone have any pictures of where the gun foot pedal firing control cables end up on the guns themselves? I can see that the foot pedals strike the bottom of the cables and push them upwards. Should the foot pedals have a torsion spring on them or similar? I’m just wondering what actually returns the cables to their start position?

I am still working on the fabrication of the steel rack around the exterior of the turret (refer the photo I ‘borrowed’ off the net). From what I’ve been told, the steel strap seems to be 1 ¼ “ wide and ¼ “ thickness, and it is 2” from the surface of the turret measured from the lower edge of the strap.

I would be interested to know how others have fabricated this rack. That is, by putting the correct bend in a length of strap of the right dimensions and then a fold at each end for the end mounts? The other way I thought about doing it was to get some steel cut to the profile of the turret and then cut it to the strap width. Any thoughts on the most economical way?

James - I'm still pondering what you said about the bullet holes in the turret. A couple of mates have also suggested I leave a couple there. As they say, it is after all, part of the history of the turret. I’m not sure I am convinced. I would like to be able to say the bullet damage was inflicted during the Battle of the Bulge but it is more likely to be the result of the turret being pounded on a gun range somewhere after the war! What are the thoughts of others?

The brake slave cylinders came back from the brake guy. He did all the work in his lunchtimes and I got the master cylinder and slave cylinders all sleeved at a very, very reasonable price. They look very good. I have a couple of replacement pistons and new cylinder cups coming from Belgium so will get these completed soon and ready to fit. I am going to give the throttle master and slave cylinders and the clutch master cylinder to the same guy and get him to do those as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.JPG   IMG_1333.JPG   IMG_1344.JPG   IMG_1345.JPG   IMG_1357.JPG  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car