View Single Post
Old 02-07-07, 17:10
Bailey Bridges & FBE

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
Still cant sort out that last problem so its kicked into touch. Now heres a interesting item, about 15 years ago i put this photo into a model mag to find out more details we all came to the conclusion that it was bridging but never resolved the full purpose of strapping complete large sections in this way. One it must have been rather out of balance whilst travelling, think of the roads in Europe at that time, for obvious reasons its better to go up rather than flat the width would have been totally restrictive and upwards as can be seen would foul bridges, trees, arches etc
comments welcome
Les
Les, Just had a look at the Forum and seen this post (currently in Switzerland); I have not seen the sections loaded this way before, but they are SBG sections used by 79th Armoured Division AVRE; I had always thought that the components were brought up by 3 ton 6x4 SBG in UK use and / or Diamond T 975 GS in Canadian use (Canadians used many AVRE SBG bridges in Le Havre assault and in Netherlands). I have not got my reference charts with me so not sure who "16" users were. Background colour could well be RE blue which would be logical but most 79th Armoured Division support units were in 9** series. I will look when I get home Thursday!

Cheers, David