View Single Post
Old 24-12-20, 07:58
Darryl

Default M8

Hi all,

I have finally got some brakes on the M8. In my last update I mentioned that after rotating the brake backing plates and bleeding all wheel cylinders I still had a slightly soft pedal. I clamped off all the axles again and individually checked them. I found that when I released the front and intermediate axles, the pedal was still firm but when I released the rear axle, I had a spongey pedal. Bugger! This axle was the first one I did with my new method so maybe my technique was not that good.

I was initially a bit reluctant to remove everything from that axle again and so I pumped up the pressure bleeder and bled off the bleeders I had fitted into the Tee connections. I then bled off the wheel cylinders. The fluid was clear with no signs of air. It was bugging me and I wasn’t happy so I decided to strip the hubs again. I rotated the backing plates and bled again and sure enough I got more air out of two of the cylinders. Not a lot like before, but it was there. A test of the pedal showed that it was firm like the others. If anyone is thinking about bleeding their brakes in this way, I can tell you while the process looks a bit daunting when you think about it, it is only about two hours to do a complete axle including bleeding.

This process confirmed for me with the Raybestos modification to the wheel cylinders, bleeding off the wheel cylinders when they are in the standard position is a complete waste of time. It has also shown that bleeding off the bleeders I put in the Tee connections is only useful to prevent air going into the wheel cylinders. It won’t remove air from the cylinders themselves. That air will remain stuck under the cups until you put the wheel cylinder in a rotated position where air can come out from under the cup. I think if I had to do a complete brake set up again, I might even replace the solid brake lines on the axles with flexible lines. This would make the bleeding process even easier.

Anyway, I feel like I can move forward again now after the last few months of frustrations with the wheel cylinders. I still have a little tweaking to do though. I fired up the engine today and tested the brake pedal to see if the Hydrovac is working. There was no discernible drop in the pedal on start up so I will check the vacuum connections. Maybe I haven't got something quite right there.

Next up, I started preparing the rear floor and engine covers for fitting. I left some bullet holes in the engine covers. That may not be to everyone’s taste but I figure they are all part of the vehicle’s history and they will be a good talking point. I’ll fit the engine covers once the guys are back working next door and I can use the fork hoist.

The floor is made from sheet metal that I cut, folded and welded. I also bolted a bit of box section to it to strengthen it a bit. I made the rear section so that it slides under the intermediate section. It is a slightly awkward thing to fit but I figure that if I have to remove any floor section it is more likely to be the intermediate section.

The floor section seems to fit nicely but I should have made the rear holes slightly bigger in diameter as with a couple of coats of paint on them, the bolts are a bit of a snug fit when trying to line the holes up with the nuts I welded onto the back panel.

That’s it for this year. Merry Xmas and a happy New Year to you.

Cheers
Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
20201217_155045.jpg   20201217_154443.jpg   20201217_154453.jpg   20201224_113354.jpg   20201224_131402.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car