View Single Post
Old 14-05-05, 14:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Front axle...bearing removal ......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Need more help advice and or prayers.....

I can't remove the bearing from the inside of the front axle brake drum...... h*** I can't even find the previous thread to which someone responded with a page copy of the shop manual.

I have washed most of the grease from the cavity..... I have used grade 8 bolts..... but not to the point of breaking a bolt or stripping the thread...... I have used and destroyed a brass punch....... I have reverted to a steel punch and flared the tip slightly from hammering and had to screw the punch out following the thread...... but I have not finished praying yet.....

Wot ham eye du-hing rung!!!!! I really want to remove and properly inspect and clean. When you hit the punch with a hammer it bounces back as if you were hitting a solid massive chunk of steel....... and tried both brake drums...???

Frustrated!!!
Bob
Am I assuming you have the outer race seized in the housing??
If so ..tighten down the three pusher bolts on the pesky,rusted,seized,^$&*#(*#^&@ outer bearing race...Then take the red wrench and start to heat around the ouside of the housing...
When it is hot enough it will let go(You should hear it) and you can continue the removal process with the pusher bolts with ease..
10 Minutes work on a bad day..Why didn't you give me a call ..After 45 years of mechanic-ing there aren't too many rusty things that can stump me for removal or destruction..
Can't heat it..??
Do step one..with the bolts..
Use your vibrating impact hammer(Not the chisel bit,the hammer bit),air or electric around the outside of the housing...
Same results..
Heat or vibration..Takes them off every time..
I might be able to get my mechanic to come out..
I know he know lots of stuff about chain..
http://www.funnyclicks.com/pictures1/nose_chain.jpg

Bob C.