View Single Post
Old 30-07-20, 15:29
GM Fox I

The 29 set had a 'variometer' similar in size to a 19 set one but with a big lobe on the side to house the drive motor. There is also an AERIAL MATCHING UNIT No.C1 in a square case about the size of the 29 set supply unit. Its number is ZA/CAN 9268 CMC 105-969 with no maker specified on the data plate as "RCA VICTOR COMPANY LIMITED' is displayed on other components of the set. Safe to assume it's Marconi however.

Both aerial units are shown on top of the 29 set. Note the 52 set style tuning knobs on the C1 unit.

I have no idea whether it was planned to have Marconi produce sets, a possibility perhaps if the war had gone on longer and thousands of sets might have been required to replace 19 sets. But as it turned out of course nothing came of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
The reason for my inquiry earlier is a lead I received earlier this week through the local Amateur Radio group about an aerial tuner that turned up in town, made by Canadian Marconi Company. I should be able to pick it up this weekend.

The initial thought was it was likely another Coil, Aerial Tuning No. 2 for the 52-Set, but the general description suggests it is smaller than that and it has two separate aerial connections on the output side, from what I understand.

My next thought was it might be a piece of RCN Wireless gear as CMC was very active in that area, but I am told there is a ‘ZA’ Number on it and that the chassis is secured by a set of circular cams. That got me thinking of the 29-Set, but my assumption has always been that set was solely an RCA Canada project and was issued with a variometer, so would not require an aerial tuner.

Will know more about this thing when I pick it up and get some photos of it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9215 - Copy.JPG