View Single Post
Old 25-10-14, 22:47

There is a great deal of truth in what you say jdmcm. It has been said in past that 'patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel'. Substitute 'religion' or 'ideology' for patriotism, and you are spot on for some of the participants but certainly not the majority. To write them all off as petty criminals or mentally ill is to miss the point.
Australian citizens taking part in the what is happening in Syria and Iraq are estimated, I believe, to be around 160. I would think the majority of them would have no criminal record, they are merely committed to the cause.
In another indication of where allegiance lies.The fellow who stabbed the two police officers here before being fatally shot had an enormous turn out at his funeral. A show of solidarity for the family or a send off for a martyr/hero? I don't know.
All I do know is that had he been caucasian the attendees at his funeral would fit in a telephone box. Nobody would wish to be associated with him.
Yes, I too deplore the increasing level of surveillance and loss of our freedoms and concur that some of it is over-reaction but make no mistake the stakes are extremely high. If these people ever get their hands on nuclear materials you will find out just how high. I'm not an alarmist, I'm just extrapolating from what has happened so far.

David

Last edited by motto; 25-10-14 at 22:52.