View Single Post
Old 21-01-07, 08:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hughes
one thing ive seen was a picture of some ss re enactors
directing traffic at one of the Beltring events,just my sick sence of humour i suppose,but i thought it apropriate!!
I think I can understand that sense of twisted humor at the positions. But I guess for many the uniforms are still reminders of wounds that are still fresh and will probably be so forever for generations to come.

When I saw the reenactors in German uniforms, that was in Ottawa for the VE Day ceremonies and parade. I was deeply effected, but I did go ovr and chat with one of the guys. It still seemed "off" to me, but I was also unsure of what should be my appropriate response to seeing them, as I didn't know if German representation was a usual and acceptable thing at these events. All I know is that personally ... it did hit me in the belly as "ain't fittin' " ... if you understand what I mean?

Those uniforms represented everything that the VE ceremonies and grand opening of the War Museum were about, the victory over an inhumane force.

Its like having war protestors at a Soldiers funeral or at Remembrance Day ceremonies to REMEMBER and HONOUR Fallen Soldiers. Time and place are at odds and their presence is absolutely out of context with the events.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression ... in my opinion, needs to be practiced "in context".

In any other place, have fun with twisted humour I guess

Karmen