View Single Post
Old 03-01-20, 03:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron King View Post
After many years in Rural Fire Service..., I have never seen any thing like this.
Almost universally up and down the Eastern States, our hats go off and our hearts go out to the thousands of volunteer firefighters who have been fighting these fires for over 3 months in conditions that are hot work just standing still, and Summer has only just begun.

The volunteers range in age from 18 to some in their 70's. For many of the younger volunteers, this is their first experience of catastrophic fire conditions, and they will be relying heavily on the guidance of more experienced firefighters. For many experienced volunteers, including those with several generations of family members being involved over many decades (you know who I am talking about, Ron ), that guidance can be limited as these fires are unprecedented in their ferocity and extent, and there is no learned knowledge in how to combat them.

It's been said often enough before, but after these fires are over there needs to be a comprehensive reassessment of land management practices in bushland and forested areas to reduce the extent and intensity of future outbreaks. It is hardly "best practice" Conservation strategies if all the native fauna for hundreds of kilometres are incinerated, taking decades to recover, if ever at all.