View Single Post
Old 13-08-14, 00:09
[user name reset]

Hi Steve.

I have used those drag link sockets and they break of at around the second hit with my impact wrench. maybe I should be using snap on
I guess I could use them when the bolts are loose enough ...

My current driver is a ground down Allen head impact drive socket.

I get ones that are big enough to provide a good screw driver head when ground. I am careful not to over heat in the grinding process and the length gives me lots of room for extra grinds when the driver gets rounded or bent.

The problem with blade drives and impact wrenches is keeping the driver in the slot, it jumps out as soon as it gets going on account of the physics of it all.

All that said ...the inch drive rattle gun makes not the slightest difference to most of the bolts.

I will make up a leaf spring driver as suggested as well as the modified pipe wrench thingy ....being able to put a substantially long bar through it makes it far more powerful than a T bar but i suspect as advised earlier I will need a couple of friends to help with it.

I think getting things low and close to the job is also important so the leaf spring idea has the advantage of me being able to make the thing right down close to the job.....all the sockets etc mean the leverage is a couple of inches of the armor so keeping the thing vertical while straining against the bolt becomes an issue.

Terry ...if there are other forums that tackle removing armor bolts I have been unable to find them...in fact when it comes to practical help MLU is the best around as far as I have found ...that said if anyone knows of another source i would be most grateful for links.

many many thanks for all of your combined wisdomes

Last edited by Mrs Vampire; 13-08-14 at 00:42.