Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 24-09-21, 12:01
Marty Morren

Default Dome light wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
David.

I just realized I didn’t take a picture of the mounts I made up. Basically it’s 2”x 1/8” thick flat stock. Ends are bent 90deg on both ends. This fits across the width of the wooden body. Two woods screws on both bent ends screw into the lamp. This bracket would get bolted to the roof sheet metal then the lamp inserted and the wood screws screwed in. In my case I needed to make another piece that fit over the canopy tubing. I made up a stamping die and pressed some out in the shop press. The top stamped piece fits around the canopy tube and then two bolts are used to secure the top piece to the lamp bracket.

As for the lamp, yes there are few different holes in it.

The red circle is for the power in wire. It goes directly to the push/pull switch. It has a quick connect GM connection.

The green arrow is where the push pull switch mounts.

The blue circle is a socket accessible only from the outside of the lamp. It gets wired to the switch. I believe it was used to fit the plug from a trouble light or provide remote power to another lamp or some other accessory. I’m not sure if it should always be live or only live when the light is on.

The yellow arrow is the lamp socket.

The red arrow is a screw that holds the tinned metal reflector in place. It goes right through the wooded body and has a double nut on the backside. This also acts as the hookup for the ground to complete the electrical circuit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	554E4C2C-914A-495B-95AA-3E9D5E20B768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	124881
Hi Jordan,

I think I found out how the socket was supposed to be wired. According to a schematic in the MACH-ZL manual, the output wire from the switch goes to the lamp and the socket. So the socket is only powered when the light is on.

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	124884

It looks like that this was not always the case though. The NOS dome lights that came with my truck both have a short cable that plugs into the socket. So it looks like that the socket could also be used as input for the dome light (easy to do, just connect the socket wire to the input of the switch)

Name:	IMG_20210924_111858.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	124882

One question: How did you find out that these use an ARK-LES push/pull switch? It looks like that the NOS lights did not come with switches.

My 1943 Chevrolet C8A HUM

Last edited by M.Morren; 24-09-21 at 13:18.