Thread: A new project
View Single Post
Old 16-07-12, 03:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Your Blitz

Hi Tim

Congratulations on owning a blitz! If it is an Australian assembled Chev cab 13, the chassis number will be stamped on the left front chassis rail. The data plates are normally located on top of the dash and sometimes on the engine cover, and will have a "WO" number denoting the original body type.
As for paint colour, khaki green fades to a sandy colour, so it is unlikely it saw desert service, yet that remains to be seen!
Are you planning to restore her with the original type of motor and gearbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lovelock View Post
Hi, I'm Tim and I've just bought a "Blitz". I've loved their pugnacious beauty ever since making the Tamiya kit as a kid. Well, it's taken a divorce and early retirement to realise my dream. Great things come to those that wait.
Well, what is she? This is what I know. Apparently she landed in Brisbane in 1942. After "army" service she was sold to the South Australian Country Fire Service. After that she was bought by a fellow who replaced the Chev motor with a Ford straight six and auto transmission, hence the extended front end.
I haven't located any data plates as yet or other serial numbers. But hopefully a letter or two to the fire service might aid my enquiries.
A manual is the next thing as well as getting her inside to work.
A friend of mine is going to guide me in the right direction as he is a semi retired mechanic. Another friend is allowing me the use of her generously sized shed. (might have to marry her to inherit the shed!!).
I'm living on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Aus. So I would be interested to meet with anyone who shares this passion.
Well guess that's an introduction. Kind regards Tim
ps. Haven't rubbed anything back as yet, but beneath the pealing red paint on the interior there appears to be a "sandy" or "beige" colour. Would this be undercoat or a desert colour or is it just too early or impossible to tell? My fancy is a desert theme! Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern