View Single Post
Old 09-08-07, 08:05

Default .....and then there was the time....

....engine, just howlin', in that distinctive turbo-deisel voice, screaming, cross-country down the Trace, kowing full well that if this was a real shooting war, This would be the "Valley Of Death", and I was some poor sod in the Light Brigade....wait a minute, I'll back up a bit.
Late 80's, Dundurn SK, MilCon?/ArCon?(whatever), Combat Tm Hasty Attack on a Soviet style Pl strong point, I was 2ic of the best Pl in the Coy, and I had the best Griz driver in the Pl (MCpl H.) We had about a 3km pedal-to-the-metal-Banshee charge from the Assault Line to the Objective, and I was determined to be first, to Hell with stupid things like "Orders of March"," March Discipline",and"Mechanized Platoon Formations"(who needs that crap anyways?)
...OFF we go, like a bat-outta-Hell and quickly left the rest of the CbtTm in our dust, all kinds of leadership on the net screaming at my C/S to SLOW DOWN! I would calmly give a big WILCO, flip to intercom and yell "Driver, FASTER!"
Pretty soon everybody else picked up on what was going on and just like that it looked like some weird armed and armoured "Baja 500"
We had the World by the Ass, quick shoulder check to make sure nobody was catching us, jump on the milk crate to get a look at the dips and wrinkles in the ground, yell at the driver,"Slow down, Hard left, now Give er'" but mostly, just try and brace myself against the "pokey things" in that cramped, full-of-pokey-things turret.
In the near distance, directly in our path I spyed a man-made berm 5M high with near verticle sides, and I could tell that MCpl H. was determined to climb it. I tried to order him to drive around, Hell, as it loomed closer, I begged him to drive around, but at that point he was operating on some other plane, where Grizzlies could fly and visions of "Mad Max" played in his head. On theI/C, he just kept repeating as in a mantra," I can do it WO, I can do it"
...We could'nt...
I don't remember much after that.... I got a pretty good cut on my forehead from that useless pizza-flipper AA sight on the top of the turret(4 stitches, 2 black eyes), I do remember screaming down into the troop compartment something about "ICEBERG- STRAIGHT AHEAD".
Oh, I'm sure we once again defeatd those Commie Bastards, I really don't recall. I know, that after one look at how banged up I was, that charges were'nt necassary since I'd been punished enough. MCpl H. sported a giant goose-egg on his forehead for the rest of the Ex, But in spite of my best efforts, I could'nt wipe that shit-eating grin off his face.
Here's to you MCpl H.
Cheers