View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 22:14

Default Lynx axles

The Mk 1 is 12 spline and the Mk 2 Lynx axle is 16 splines. Lynx 1 is of a smaller diameter than Mk2. The axles from a C8A (maybe F8 as well ?)are the right length but are 10 spline. They have the correct flange thickness and 8 hole bolt up pattern. The short one is about 678mm to the inside of the flange. My theory is that you can get a C8A axle and vee the spline a little deeper and weld up and then re-cut the new spline to 12, if making a Mk1 axle. The other idea is to take the longer axle from the other side and cut it down to a short side length and then re-cut the spline. The axles I believe are just case hardened so with modern carbide cutters, can do the job. Using a C8A axle is about 38mm thick, this will get turned down to about 34.8mm where the spline needs cutting, this is for Lynx 1 only. The Lynx 2 starts with an axle that is about 43.8mm dia. , so quite possible other axles in the CMP range would work, the spline is 16 , so would have to check that against a larger CMP axle.
The Lynx gearbox uses standard Ford 4-speed truck gearbox components, but the housing is different. They have turned the main part of the gearbox 90 degree to the bellhousing part of the casting that bolts to the engine, so to give you a flat floor. The shifter housing that bolts to the side is all enclosed and uses double shifter rods to make the gearchanges remotely, if that makes sense.I Have cast up new gearboxes for the Lynx, but have still to machine them up at this stage.
Just to add some technical info:
Lynx 1 axle: 12 spline, 34.8mm at the spline dia. approx., length of spline 65mm, inner axle diff seal runs about 130mm from end
of the axle, ( spline end ) Short side axle is 678mm from the end to the inner of the flange, Long axle is 1048mm to
the inner of the flange. The flange is about 1/2" thick and about 134mm dia. with 8 holes @ 114mm dia., NO
counter sunk drilled for these holes like other CMP axles.

Lynx 2 Axle: 16 spline, 43.8mm at the spline dia. approx., length of spline 80mm, inner axle seal runs about 90mm from the end
of the axle ( spline end ). Short axle is 678mm to the inner of the flange and long is 1048mm to the inner of the
flange. Flange and holes are the same as Lynx 1.

If anyone is passing by a bunch of CMP F8 or F15 axles, it would be interesting to see what these measure at? I do know C8AX axles , could be converted to Lynx 1 as I have mentioned above as they are the right length and start life at about 38mm, so there is enough meat to work with when re-machining......if my theory works out?

Cheers Andrew.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart

Last edited by Andrew Rowe; 06-09-20 at 01:12. Reason: update info.