View Single Post
Old 18-08-21, 16:02
Terry Warner

Default Back to the top!

After the excitement of the first season in 2013, I settled into a happy routine with the Jeep of getting it on the road in springtime, driving in Gunner Mike's Dominion Day parades where I was sometimes the roadmaster, and other trips and displays until the fall when she'd go back into the shelter. Even my RSM incorporated the Jeep in a unit Change of Command parade, where I emerged from concealment in a woodline to take the out-going CO and family off the parade square!

In November 2018 I was enroute to a veteran's parade and the Jeep developed a tremendous clatter and knock. After some non-mechanical intervention, including oil sludge treatment and thinner replacement oil, the noise went away. It came back in 2019 when I was doing some driver training teaching standard. Thinking through the problem and consulting The Brain Trust, I resigned myself that the engine had to come out for inspection and repairs.

Then other things seized my focus:
  • the hospitalization and death of my father;
  • his estate administration (Canadians will recognize that Quebec cannot do anything like the rest of the country, so I have become good professional friends with the town notary);
  • I had to find a way to extend my military service for bitterly selfish (ie pension income) reasons;
  • I changed offices;
  • the pandemic struck;
  • those who could were sent home to work;
  • I needed minor surgery;
  • the pandemic was still with us;
  • I needed a 6-month administration extension;
  • the household was keen to get our shots; and,
  • my father's house is 298kms distant and I'm still the Executor.

Since then the borders have been reopened, Her Majesty and I have said our last goodbyes, the pension cheques are on direct deposit, and I emptied his 1200-sq ft bungalow. Five days after listing I accepted an offer to purchase. The real estate agent and I are pressing ahead with the paperwork to keep momentum on the sale.

So, now back to priorities - 48-hrs ago the Jeep was flatbedded to the country workshop of my friend Dave. He'd previously agreed to take on the mechanical diagnosis and fix, and to remove all the rot and patch panels. It is exciting to see progress, even if that consists of parts coming off the Jeep. More to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
20190601_Carp Diefenbunker w Eric Booth, Dumaresq dePencier, me and Al Dornan.jpg   DP27-2015-0030-001 Walk Run in Red.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 19-08-21 at 23:03.